The "Under Average"

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Rob Harrison, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

I had a brief discussion with a rep, on what transpired, if anything, at the Chicago meeting (there was no conference call for that meeting, so you had to be there) He felt the average under, under average, thing, would not work, yet the concern for dealing with mineshaft is priority. Ironically, the average thing was to deal with that, but he didn't like it, the factor's are reworked and sooner than later, we will discuss them.

He went on to say, if Comp could not pay their way with the correct number of cars entered in both the divisional and national events, "they're going to dump it". Several people on this forum have said this in the past and I for one, have said, NHRA would never do that. Apparently, this rep has a different story and it surprised me to hear it, so car count becomes a paramount issue if you are to believe what he said.

In fact, nothing could be more important, so these discussion's take on a new sense of urgency, to come up with the real reason's a racer stay's home. Is it the index at the top of the list and therefore protection of it most important ( mineshaft factor's etc.) or does that even come into the picture? Maybe it's just lack of money and if that is the biggest reason, what can we do about that?

The reasons will quickly become redundant, if they dump Comp.

2. PeteAdams

PeteAdams New Member

Rule changes will not increase car count. I imagine that a huge cash infusion into the racers pockets is about the only thing that will help. So whata ya say Rob can u spare a loony for parked racer??? lol Maybe if they gave back our qualifying money???

#122 PeteAdams, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. Adger Smith

Adger Smith Member

over under avg

Can I say this without sounding too Bad?
    I told you so....
    NOW you are on to something Pete..
    But I think some rule changes Will help participation.

#123 Adger Smith, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  4. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

The car count in comp at div 4 race was 24 T/D 32 t/s 28 A/F funny car had 4 cars .Are they going to drop thee classes also . The truth is everthing is dying that cost money even horse shows and dog shows just name its dying .

5. Rob Harrison

Sounds good to me, Charlie, I mean good bad, if Comp is not being singled out, as I was told, then Comp is at least as safe as the rest of them. The economy is controlling participation in general, and to that point, we seldom have more than 16 cars in D6......ever.

Qualifying money was nice, Pete, seems like it was "years" ago, the Loonie is in the mail LOL

6. Arnie

Arnie New Member

get back to work!
    THAT is what made COMP!

#126 Arnie, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. Rob Harrison

Don't..... let sleeping dog's lie....cause if you do, dogs start phoning, and before you know it that pack instinct starts to rear it's ugly head. There is a serious support group forming, that like the average hit point, in fact I have yet to receive a single call that doesn't like it. I hesitated to post this, as I am not ready for another Title Bout, but the fella's that are currently running in the heat , with their new indexes, think some of their hit could of been saved by the under average. Further to that, decision's to race have been affected by their lack of index (contrary to some of the opinion's on this forum).

Weird thing to deal with, they agree with the concept, but don't dare say so. Mineshaft condition's seem to be the single focus.

8. PeteAdams

PeteAdams New Member

How many races have you shown up at lately where u have qualified well .65 under or better. Some number one spots too.. No??? Yet you still try to convince the index povern how they need this system...... Maybe u need to push for an reaction time over under... It seems as though that could help you poor disadvantaged fast guys more then anything huh??? If I need say more please feel free to respond. I am drinking tonight and am more then willing to share opinions, granted they might be off subject and some what detestable.... FTW!!!!

PS if I had you phone number, and was willing to waste money on an international call, you might here somebody speak that thinks its completely asinine!!!!

#128 PeteAdams, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  9. Rob Harrison

Always nice to hear from you, Pete.

10. Stephen Rosen

Stephen Rosen Member

Rob,

Interesting to know that you are so devoted to ICR that you would read this crap after midnight! LOL. Hope we can all pull the train in one direction eventually.

11. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I am just glad that somebody cares enough about comp to spend the time as Rob has.There would`nt be much need for Rob are anybody to try to rig there index.Because if something is not done there won`t be any indexs are comp.We run a car that if we realy wanted could run T/D with .But most of comp cars would not have a class to race in at all.There is nothing in this world that will stand the test of time without changes made.Not even comp.

12. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Problem with comp is the same. Money and excess under the index for a few. If the economy is to blame then that supports the no money side which equates to not fast enough to be close to competitive. Simple but not a popular fix is add index back to the classes that are hurt and take limits off hitting indexs and let them correct. If you don't have at least a 60 under car don't bother to show up. Looks like what is going on. IMO

13. craig schuck

craig schuck Active Member

The whole state of drag racing is suffering right now and comp is not alone. It could use a small shot in the arm for sure. I am with adding index back to any class that has not ran 60 under this year. Use nitro joes stats and give a nickel back to any non 60 under class. Then make index hits one for one like they used to be. Stopping the hit after 65 under only helps guys who can run that fast. Shit if you can run 69 under than you need 9 taken off your index anyway.

14. PeteAdams

PeteAdams New Member

I would agree with the second part of your post, but respectfully disagree with the giving indexes back part. You will see rich guys scrambling like cockroaches when the light come on to make it into one of those classes.... We still have yet to see the maximum potential of the SBX heads and/or the 4.500 bore space stuff yet!!!!:eek: 3 years ago C/A could have used a shot in the arm and Carl Foltz gave it to us not the NHRA. Imagine if we would have gotten a nickle back then, everyone else would be sick right now.

The object is to make every car a .50 under car, not to make every car a .70 under car... Why does this seem so hard to understand???? A/PM was another class that people would have thought was taxed 5 years ago and now look 5 second Nitrous cars everywhere.....

P.S. I'm still drinking!!! Ya I got issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Giving a nickle back makes more sense then adding more classes for the money guys to run to and index protection system. The guy with a one car and a limited pocketbook could step up and run compared to sitting home. It is all about butts in the seat until the economy comes back. IMO. Trying to put a car together for one of my kids. Comp is totally off the radar now and in the future due to cost and top heavy index killers.

16. craig schuck

Pete, the index jumpers will always move around to race the best classes because they can afford to do so. They are buying new stuff for next year as we type. But if a nickel came back to some of the non 60 under classes you would get some of the cars that are parked back to the track. It's only a short term solution, but it has worked in the past to increase attendance.

17. PeteAdams

PeteAdams New Member

Or by the same theory you could use Joe's stats to just take a nickle away from classes that are fast. My thinking is that if you had a "pete/altered" sitting in your garage that was not competitive any more and then they gave back a nickle, Chances are someone else would ruin it by the time you blew the dust off it... But by truly equaling the playing field by bringing the indexes closer to the 50 under, U accomplish the same thing with out having to worry about someone else going and taking your index away before u make it to a race... Its a false motivation. It is much more logical to get cars as close to 50 under as possible because there is less chance of someone hitting the indexes. Making all cars .65 under cars just guarantees that the indexes will keep getting hit. U see taking index away from fast cars does make the slow cars fast with out any ill effects to the slower cars, NHRA's current system is set up to do just that. Rob is the ONLY J/A car in the world so of course he is gonna pull for anything that allows him to keep his advantage.

Make your self fast by making the other person slow, race to the stripe u effing pussies!!!! That is the only cure as I see it....

18. craig schuck

Pete, your logic is true, but im sure you will never get nhra to take away index from guys that are running long established classes. Nhra gave index back about 10 years ago and the participation went up a bunch. It didnt last forever but there were a lot of cars dusted off and ran that year. The participation was up for a year maybe a year and a half. It took a while for the index's to level out. We had some good racing during that time too. The advent of adding class after class so everyone has a place to race have added who knows how many new index's. Some of those index's are still soft but the only way they will be made to race to the stripe is if they are pushed by a guy who can run 55 under instead of getting beat by 10 feet because he only runs 50 under now. Times are tough and people are staying close to home. A nickel might be the encouragement some need to get their stuff to the track.

19. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Might as well go to a 16 car field and make the index hit one for one with no cap. Look at how soft todays rules are compared to the nineties. Index hits during qualifying! Craig probably remembers the C/ED hit for 7 in one weekend. Lots of stripe racing back then when a -55 car was deadly.

20. 377 D/A

377 D/A Member

a pete/altered doesn't have a four cylinder does it? i could not agree more with you pete but i think you already know that. it is somewhat interesting that you as a relative new comer to the class understand it so well. i also have it on pretty good authority that this topic is not really all that popular it has been stirred up by a few guys and somehow rob ended up being the propagandist for it.