The "Under Average"

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Rob Harrison, Jun 4, 2010.

1. 377 D/A

377 D/A Member

i think that is why you see better counts at some divisionals than you do at others. i think d-3 still has the comp money deal that was set up by browell, bob book, greg kamplain, liberty, and there was one other one that i missed but it made it a pretty good deal to go to a points race. unlike division 2 which is like the anti comp division larry won a points race in atlanta last year or the year before and got like 1200.00 total pretty weak when compared to what it costs to get there. i was talking to a guy the other day and he was right people are going to race but they have to eliminate something and it seems like the tow and all of the politics are keeping the quick eight fields full at the local tracks. you can go run for three grand or five grand or whatever and be home that night. makes some sense doesn't it. i am sure that i missed guys in the above list of names and i am sorry for that i have not been in a while and i forgot who they all were. i also know that rodger brogden had a deal for the d-4 guys.
    ian

2. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Pro Stock in Comp

Relative to car count concern's, I received a call from a Pro Stock crew chief, yesterday. He asked point blank, why can you run a Pro Mod in Comp and you can't run a Pro Stock....surprised does not describe my reaction. First response was immediate....there is no reason, but I'm sure everyone believed there was no possible way that a Pro team would ever consider such a thing....

I quickly qualified that with, if there is any possibility of a Pro team running Comp at a Divisional, we need to take care of this ASAP. Pro index 7.20 ? I'm sure they would treat the whole thing as a test session, but who gives a crap, no different from a Pro Mod in Comp, sure would be cool to have a Pro team at a points race....

3. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

I ran my Pro Stock in comp all the time back in 2000,2001,2002,2003....But I was far from being pro caliber...

Nothing is stopping them,Larry Morgan did it at the US Nationals a few years ago just to get some test runs in.

4. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

That was run in B/A at 2700 lbs - the request would be to run at NHRA Pro Stock rules which is 2350 lbs.

5. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

I'm pretty sure Jerry Hemmingson ran a Pro Stock car in comp in A/A in Brainerd a few years back. If all they want to do is test at points meets they can run off the 7.11 index no?

6. comp6869

comp6869 Member

Mission

Craig Donaldson runs A/A in Prostock trim... He ran a 6.79 last month, he will be running this weekend at the Open in Mission.

Chad Perkin

7. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

What I am talking about is literally running off Pro Stock rules - a new class. We need cars and this would be an easy way to do it. The other advantage is unlike the turbo classes we have tons of run data to come up with a fair index. I also would be willing to start another comp bonus program for our division if others are Interested.
    WE NEED MORE CARS!!!!!!!!

8. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

I know what you mean Bob. And I agree we need more cars. I was just saying if they wanted to run comp just to test they can legally run A/A and not change a thing about their car.

9. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

Many of these guys want to come over & race so that would involve Pro Stock car as a stand alone class with a fair index (7.25 - 7.30?) I am having trouble understanding the problem comp racers have with this - I believe increasing car count is critical to comp surviving & this would be a simple way to do that at divisional races. I dont want to end up putting shoe polish on my A/D!!!

10. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

I'm not questioning that a Pro Stock crew chief made the statement, but I seriously wonder how many teams would actually participate. There are a few third tier teams who just have fun running their cars with no chance of ever qualifying at a National Event, but other than them it seems to me the Pro teams would get more accomplished in a test session.

Remember that Pro Stock costs have skyrocketed and that their engines have a very short lifespan between freshening. Unless you're doing structured testing there's not much sense in just burning fuel.

Assuming that entry and crew passes are charged, there wouldn't be all that much difference in the cost. But in a test session you could make as many passes as your turnaround skills would allow, along with the ability to spend 15 minutes on the starting line checking measurments if you want to.

Considering the pitiful payout for current points races, where is the money for another eliminator going to come from? That brings us to a very important point.

Getting back to the question of Comp remaining a viable class, there's something that's been happening which seems to me to be a huge factor in the future. No one seems to have noticed or at least be talking about it. I'm referring to the "Pay to Play" scheme.

I would hope everybody realizes that the reason Pro Mod is now on the schedule is because someone is paying for that to happen. Wonder why it's never referred to as a Pro class? Because the NHRA doesn't consider it one. They've looked like Fred Astaire dancing around how they describe the class, but the only reference to Pro comes from the racers competing.

The IHRA was playing around with the concept and that's what would have kept Pro Stock going over there until the thing fell apart.

It's not a good thing, friends. Setting the precedent that outside sources pay for the costs of tech, operations, and purse just bring classes like TS and TD that much closer to taking over.

No, I don't know what to do about it other than hope the economy improves and the money comes back into the sport.

11. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

Dan,
    All very good points but the fact remains that any increase in car count is a positive no matter how you look at it.
    The pay to play is very accurate & maybe what is needed is a roundtable of business' that earn their living primarily off comp racers. The main thing I know is if we dont all become pro-active (In a positive way) our future is very bleak.

12. Nahan

Nahan Member

in 07 and 09 Jerry ran b/a at the div race in Brainerd, in 06 pat herold ran a/a with his ps car at the div.

I ran Larry Morgan in two qualifiying runs at the brainerd nats in 08 and it was really cool to line up next to him. So it has been done in the past and it would be great if more of the ps guys came out!

13. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

My deal is ,for somebody to say that only comp is down is wrong.All classes are off . You would think that T/D and T/S would be full since they are a pretty new class to NHRA events.I would have thought they would have at least 40 cars each . I see guys all the time buying big rigs spending money like it is water then trying to sell them . Another thing, a back up motor is like having girl friend that is not as pretty as your wife . One good motor is all you need for comp . The back up motor won`t run good enough for comp most of the time .We proved that at Tulsa a div 4 race , it use to be good enough.

#173 C Tanksley, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  14. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Tanksley!!!.. you did it again.. got me laughin' enough to spill my coffee.. I'm gonna write down that back up motor / girlfriend comparison.. bet we see that on TV real soon.. LMAO!!!

15. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Recently, I got asked, what ever happened to the Under Average? Would it of had any effect on the reasons the various index's got hit or would it of been non functional? I certainly didn't keep any record's of qualifying averages, this year, but for the most part, I don't think it would of come into play.

This is not to say some goofy air with some goofy factor's, could make Vegas a candidate for a -64 under average qualifying field, in 2 weeks.

How about it, Tyler, (our stat's guy) keep track of Vegas for both races and apply the Under Average, as if it was in place, it'd be interesting if nothing else.

16. PeteAdams

PeteAdams New Member

Really we're dredging this back up!!!

17. Compfan#2

Compfan#2 New Member

Turn the page! It's time to move on from this idea.

Billy Williams

18. Div5Fan

Div5Fan Member

Rob,

I will do it- if I can remember how the "Under Average" formula works!

19. Div5Fan

Div5Fan Member

OK, I'm on it. This will be the easiest stat I've kept track of all year.