Tire Shake

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Rob Harrison, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

I think your comment, Charlie, speaks to the whole issue, tire construction. Pat said the tire is not the main focus, if tire style is not, then this whole shake thing is way deeper....one day....one day....it will all be clear.

2. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

I think chassis construction is also a factor...just look at a sportsman and prostock chassis and you will see a ton more x bracing in the prostock above the 3rd member..simply look in the back windows of both to see the diff...at least I see that in my heap
    Terry

#42 Terry Spargo, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  3. Frank Sas

Frank Sas New Member

Rob. Sounds like a 4th order harmonics deal here going on with this tttire ssshake stuff.:confused:

4. TobyG

TobyG New Member

Maybe there is some truth to that however you need to remember a current B/ED is making the power of an A/ED at the time you are talking about. I remember a couple of A/EDs shaking their balls off back then too.

5. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I rember the A/ED shake . I also rember a A/ED breaking the frame shaking so bad .

6. Rhett Fulton

Rhett Fulton Member

intro to tire shake

I remember one race with that A/ED where in 4 runs, Team Torch came and welded on the the chassis 2 times and the wheelie bar once. I don't remeber much before that.
    Rhett

7. TobyG

TobyG New Member

I was trying new clutch disks in my B/D a while ago in Brainerd. Each pass Team Torch was over there. When I got back to the pits after Q3 he was already setting up his stuff in my pits. Its some brutal shit

8. cutta

cutta Member

So here is another question, At what power/weight ratio does tire shake become excessively more significant? Most of the cars we are talking about are pretty light but would you have to worry about that type of shake in a super mod car?

9. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

Tire shake???? Whats that?:rolleyes:

10. caveman

caveman New Member

Chilean voodoo

There was definitely something magic about the 1288's from Chile. While pretty much the rest of the planet detested any tire from Chile, the nostalgia comp dragsters and pro nostalgia guys loved the 1288 from Chile. It was a while ago so I don't remember what problem they were having with the 1288 not made in Chile. But I did have one customer scour the country so that he could trade a brand new set of 1288's for some 5 (or more) year old used jobbies that were made in Chile. 99.9% of the time that would be a terrible idea!

11. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

We had a set of chileys once that after 1 run one tire was 102 rollout the other was 106 . But did have a set that was great but the tires before that was made in the usa was always good . I saw a famous A/ED on a set of 1288 tires go 6.64 over 200 without a wing . Try that today not good .

12. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Not cool Shane

13. Rob Harrison

Had a call from a 800 in. Pro car, chassis builder, where tire shake is almost part of every run. The interesting part of the discussion was...traction control....the use of it will usually cause shake, often light but any amount of shake is slower than none. So the great traction control use, legal or not, has a fairly limiting characteristic, ultimately controlled by tire shake....good luck with that one...

14. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Oh yea tire shake can be stoped . If you kill enough of the HP it won`t shake but it might not run either . So the key is to get it all and not shake . I guess that is why they are pro`s and we are just the comp racers shaking our ass`s off .lol:rolleyes:

15. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Or just haze the tire for 300 feet!!! :D

16. Rob Harrison

That pretty much says it all, Charlie.....

17. Rob Harrison

I had to bring this thread back , after reading round after round of abandoned runs in Norwalk , from tire shake.....if you read back on the posts here , and there's 7,000 views of them , it never got answered , WHAT IS IT ? We have mastered the end of the burnout as an every time shake the hell out of the car as the tire bites...it didn't used to do it , but it does it every time now. No idea how to change or stop it. So where do we go with this......it would be nice to get some sort of explanation of what it is , at least an attempt to explain it , there are enough rocket scientist's that read this forum....

18. PeteAdams

PeteAdams New Member

And this whole time I thought tire shake came from scared race cars... who would have known it was so technical:confused:

19. Frank Sas

Frank Sas New Member

Good Golly! All this shaking had me thinking of the spice of life ="Music" .Shake Rattle n Roll =Big Joe Turner/Bill Haley & The Comets came to mind. Ok, who's next?

20. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Two kinds of tire shake not enough tire speed and too much tire speed . They are both bad but too much tire speed is easy to fix most of the time new tires will fix that sometimes . This problem is why I hate it when the track changes track compound spray .