transbrake buttons?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by racerxo69, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Comp6992

Comp6992 New Member

Reactions

You can have blinders, leave on the bottom bulb, have a standard button....and if you have reasonably good physical reactions... you will go red.

Is it good for the sport to have a majority of the races over before they start?

I've read on here about good drivers. Can a good driver consistantly slow down his/her reactions .10+ ? If they can.... then I suck.

Either Let EVERYONE leave with their button of choice. (Yes, clutch cars too) or a spec button with a four tenths full tree.

Lon

2. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Well-Known Member

I think we might run a trans brake hooked up to my Shoes so I have to click my heels together three times for the trans brake to release.. Ohh crap I've got a trans in between my legs.. LOL so that won't work..

3. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Shaun thats nice to know. Thanks for the info.

4. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

You are right , Greg. Years ago we did some testing over a couple of days to explore the 0 to 5 feet, 0 to 10 feet and looked at 5 to 15 feet. We had our own clocks that we set up in addition to the track's clocks. Our car, at the time, was a Willy Rells Corvette in a 10.5 lb. class with 6.50's in the rear and a 3.33 low with a dual disc 7" Hays mini clutch,that David Nickens ran during his Championship years with Castrol. It is important to note that the clutch was essentially locked but it's lower inertia ( 7") was faster.
    These were also the days of 9,000 rpm starting line chips and excessive wheelstands....I think "dry hops" were still the cool thing to do. I shudder to think how we tortured our equipment in those days. We had to play around with the height of the beams to get readings at all, but once we got it to repeat, the results were amazing. After comparing data with some alcohol teams and a couple of Pro-Stock teams, the the 2800 lb. Comp car was the clear winner from 0 to 5' and 0 to 10'. The transition to the faster car was somewhere between 5 and 15' and even then it was 'just starting' to show increased acceleration. Clearly, the alcohol and Pro cars of today are a different animal, but so are the Comp cars. I think for the purpose of this discussion , the Comp cars still have more gearing than the Pro cars of today, so it is relatively safe to say, the same correlation exists. It may be a bit of a stretch, but if technology is the common denominator that has benefited all parties, the 0 to 10' time should still favor the Comp cars.

5. JEFF GILLETTE

JEFF GILLETTE Member

red lights

Charles-.500 tree
    It is THE ONLY REASON for so many redlights.
    I have tried for 15 years to get them to change to a pro tree-but it starts more whining than a day care .

Our local series uses a.400 tree - handicap start/blinders-no electronics-no redlight problem-no cheaters-no whining.

Comp has averaged 25% redlights in eliminations for several years -great to watch-not.
    Have you heard this phrase? "We start with the traditional redlight"

6. cutta

cutta Member

Just a question and I very well might be wrong

Hey forgive me if I'm in a little bit over my head, but I always thought that Comp Eliminator was about the driver. A good driver can be put in any car an excel because that was good drivers do, from my understanding. Red-lighting is apart of drag racing and just because some drivers constantly red-light, doesn't mean that rules for the entire class need to change. It seems that as drivers, you just need to make an adjustment on your own, to react consistently without red-lighting. Is just seems that this change is going to make it easier for all of you guys who say that "my car reacts so quickly that I will almost always red-light". Not trying to single anyone out, but what about the guys that don't have problems red-lighting? It doesn't seem fair to them to suggest moving to a faster tree if their cutting good lights just fine right now. I apologize if this in anyway comes across harshly, I'm not trying to offend anyone.

7. speedude

speedude New Member

Cutta while that's true, one must remember comp isn't cheap, so people need to bring in sponsors where possible, sponsors need fans to see a return on investment. Fans don't like seeing a bunch of red lights, ask the pro stock bikes.... See where I'm headed with this... Comp isn't completely a sportsman class, it's a class that needs fans and sometimes, you need to make adjustments to the class that allows fans to find it more enjoyable... JMHO

8. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

If your driver red lights more than 10% of the time , you need to change the driver.

Greg

9. Steve Polhill

Mr. Tanksley get a sense of humor.. just trying to bring alittle humor to a way to serious thread.. I'm in favor of a standard button, but seriously I can't believe the amount of pissing and moaning that this has brought about. It's not that big a deal.. I've said it once I'll say it again "if racing were easy everyone would be doing it" it's not like NHRA is asking you to spend thousands of dollars.. They are asking you to buy a $20 button. Deal with it..

#49 Steve Polhill, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  10. Arnie

Arnie New Member

ok

we are good to go..
    than "they' installed...LED

11. Arnie

Arnie New Member

Comp Would Be Best If Everyone Could Think Like Jeff Gillette!

12. TobyG

TobyG New Member

on the .400 light...not busting anyones balls or making a dig. I am going to make this post Dr Phil approved.

Do you think that a .400 light favors the slower car of the pair? When someone is referring to a .400 light is it a 'pro' .400 or a 'sportsman' .400 light?

Its been ten years since I ran B/D and next year it will be C/D. I know what is meant by it being tough to cut a light with a hard leaving car. Granted I spent more time working on the car setup or at BabyDolls than the practice tree. Pro style of lights seems like it will be tough for an A/D racing a I/SMA.

13. Steve Polhill

Jerry I couldn't agree more.. LED's were the tip of the iceberg .. does anyone actually know Why they changed to LED's? I'm sure some LED company offered Money if NHRA switched all the tracks to LED's. I'm sure EVERYONE would be happy if they switched back.

14. Comp6992

Comp6992 New Member

Steve,

Would a .400 full tree present the same problems?

Lon

15. arnold3001

arnold3001 Member

NHRA went to the LED lights becasue the nitro/ super charged cars shake the crap out of the tree and would break the filament in the tradition light bulb. NHRA was always having to change bulbs. (Not cool if the light you were focused on doesn't light up.)

16. Rob Harrison

Blinders

If you take away the "anticipation" of the last yellow with a blinder, red lights are reduced to a normal level. It's silly that we need to do this in Comp, but the .500 tree, between lights, dictates the need for this. A .400 tree, between lights, would be a very productive change in dealing with the red light problem in Comp. It begs the question "Why Not?"

17. Arnie

Arnie New Member

as i said a couple days ago...LETS TALK!
    keep this thing going!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Arnie

Arnie New Member

To say that everyone has to have the same button is saying that everyone is the same. But everyone is an individual, every car is different,no two are the same.
    In NASCAR they are all the same, this is NHRA/COMP!

19. Rob Harrison

.400 full tree

A .400 full tree would reduce red lights, provide more green light racing and as a result keep indexes trimmed. I simply cannot see a down side to this change. It would be extemely hard to red light, using a blinder on a .400 tree, maybe impossible.

20. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Rob, depending on the button, most comp racers could red light with a blinder. All super cars can with less power and more weight. I know they are set up that way but I believe all dragsters could do it with ease. I myself don't care for the .400 tree and it would reduce redlights in the beginning but would be back to normal before long(when everyone gets use to it) and then we would have to go to a .300 tree and so on.

Greg