transbrake buttons?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by racerxo69, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Greg, I wasn't clear on what I was referring to, on the impossibity of red lighting on a .400 full tree. The typical Comp car that is set up for max. ET. There is an awful lot of carry on to max the ET vs. quick reaction set up, as in the Super catagories. Along with max. stagger, slipping clutches and any loose chassis set up, the Comp car suffers from it's design to react fast enough to the .400 tree and red light. There will always be exceptions......by and large the above scenario should prevail as an improvement in reducing red lights and anything that can be done to accomplish that, is a much needed step.
    I do agree with you on the "getting used to it" and then what next? I still feel there would be fewer red lights, once the get used to it part sets in. Overall there will be slower RT.

2. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

A .400 pro tree would help the class..It's easyier to leave on a pro tree and less red lights would result.Anything that can reduce red lights is a good thing,we need the races to be exciteing to the fans and nothing is worse then a race that is over before it started..

3. Craig Bourgeois

A .400 PRO type tree would kill the class, not help it.

4. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Sorry,I like the .400 pro tree....It is what I think should be used.But I also realise that most people hate the pro tree and it will not be changed.

What is the difference of a .400 pro tree or a .400 full tree if people use blinders and leave off the bottom bulb?

5. Craig Bourgeois

What do you think? The last race of the season, when some people are broke or just plain wore out, 46 comp cars. It don't sound like we don't have a class to run in.

6. Craig Bourgeois

For blinder users, none, so why change?

7. Baltered5266

Baltered5266 Member

I'm not Craig, but I would like to hear from super mod guys that run at 2800 plus pounds and ask them to run on a pro tree. There is a reason that in the class super street they use a .500 pro tree. This is because the min weight is 2800 lbs. Pro stock cars have a hard enough time leaving on a .400 pro tree let alone a 3000 lbs 300 ci super mod. If you didnt have a light dragster, the results would be lob sided....Like every suggestion, some people like it, some don't. Leave it be.

8. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

I have the same worry as you concerning the super mod cars and I don't know if we could get my little altered to leave that quickly either.

9. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

I have drove cars weighing up to 3000 lbs on a pro tree and could allways get down to around a .410 light. It is not as hard as people think to cut a good light on a pro tree.It does take some practice but it can be done.

My old bracket car weighed 2800 lbs running 9.80's with 302ci, clutch and a lenco and I could go .390 red with it no problem.

10. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

As a spectator this is what I like. Full tree .500. I like Toby's idea of a light on the rear. Operated off of the trans solenoid. It won't cure all of the possibilities but you won't be able to release the switch on the first amber. Spec switch, plug in style so NHRA can at their discretion quickly change it or test it. Steering wheel mounted and visible from the outside. Clutch cars should not be allowed to have any switches attached to the pedal linkage. The full tree gives comp it's unique difference as a drivers race. A test of talent of the old non electronic controlled world. Comp will always have red lights due to the fact half of the field is always going to be slower on the index and have to take a shot at the tree. The real fast car will always have to deal with getting itchy waiting when racing a slow index car. It sounds to me from most of the post a change will serve some and handicap others so I see nothing gained for all.:)

Rick

11. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

"Clutch cars should not be allowed to have any switches attached to the pedal linkage." Rick, how would us clutch guys operate the 2 step without a swing gate switch????

#71 Shane Heckel, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  12. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Shane- I never ran a clutch car so I am leaving myself open to ideas. My thought would be to put a switch behind the fork. Unless there is a way to cheat in the bell housing like the Autos have room in the pan.

Rick

13. Shane Heckel

Rick,we install a switch behind the pedal to operate the 2 step,its the simplest place.ALL clutch cars have this switch.

14. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

If an auto has a delay timer in the pan a light would signal if it were set to leave on the first bulb. Add a delay switch for the refinement to complete the desired delay. This is what I don't want to see. Not perfect for the little delay but would bring it closer to the Bell crank ratio adjustments on a clutch to vary release time. I see no perfect solution but it would tighten the parameters closer to equal still keeping drive talent alive.

Rick

15. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Not sure I have the experience to say it can be done but I think it has possibilities to be put in the pan with accurately. We never tried to cheat but I some times wonder what could be done. It will become increasingly harder to keep things fair. Electronics have no end to it"s potential.:rolleyes:

Rick

16. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

Did you hear what Jeggie said about last year and all the bracket racing he did? Kind of reminds me about what Don Stratton said about how all the years he spent bracket racing made him a good comp racer.

17. Craig Bourgeois

How about leave the tree alone and take away ALL electronics. No 2-Step, No trans brakes, possibly line locks only. I would vote yes on this. Any other takers?

18. Shane Heckel

How about leave the tree alone and work on getting better as drivers.I know alot of people that could go red on a "instant green".It just would not solve any problems by changing the tree. There will always be slower cars,good drivers vs.bad drivers,sun in your eyes,clutch crept,......so on & so on & so on. It's called DRAG RACING,there is 1,000,000 was to lose and only 1 way to win. As my buddy Pete Carbery says "If it's your day you can win on a stick horse"..........I believe he's gets it. See yall next year.

#78 Shane Heckel, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  19. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

Shane I can't resist and I say this only half jesting-you've got it down to only a million ways to lose? It's a tough sport, that's for sure!

20. Shane Heckel

1,000,000 is on the LOW side,I was just being optimistic! lol