transbrake buttons?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by racerxo69, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

101 to 1,000,000

We had a thread going, a while back, 101 Ways to Lose......and now we're up to 1,000,000. This sport is getting tougher by the hour. Winning on a stick horse is a bit of a stretch, but I like it......with stick wheely bars. Imagine all those aluminum horse trailers filling up the Comp pits, with the VP gas trailers on one side and the Hay trucks on the other. Give a whole new meaning to track clean up.

2. Arnie

Arnie New Member

AND
    you have to push in the clutch everytime a gear change is made!

3. Jeremy Tanksley

How about no way. lol

4. Craig Bourgeois

I don't know about pushing the clutch in on gear changes, but each shift must be a function of the driver in auto & stick classes. No more automatic shifters.

5. Brian Browell

Brian Browell Active Member

Put me down for yes on that one Craig

6. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Charlie, that is why Craig put his shifter on his steering wheel.

Greg

7. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Shane add this one.
    A stocker guy in Vegas won first round early and went back to the staging lanes to see his friends run and his leg was run over by another car in the lanes. He was hospitalized and could not make the second round. That is bad luck and I hope he is doing better.

Greg

p.s. you and your crew should come join us at the banquet.

8. Jeremy Tanksley

Basics are always gonna be basics. So lets go ahead and set the parameters for future debate by stating that:

1) An automatic transmission should typically be known as a transmission with a torque converter. It is shifted either without the physical intervention of the driver OR by the physical intervention of the driver.

2) A manual transmission should always be considered a transmission with a mechanically activated clutch. It is ALWAYS shifted by the physical intervention of the driver regardless of the method used to do so.

9. Richie Rosen

Richie Rosen Member

Looks like there is enough to complain about all winter. Adjustable BUTTON, no Adjustable BUTTON, adjustable linkeage, no adjustable linkeage. Drivers being sent to christmas tree reaction school, or buying a portable tree to practice on all day.

Well it's my suggestion to make the tree 5, 5, 4 tenths this will take the Adjustable switch, adjustable linkeage and the Blinder a thing of the past.

10. Ray Vierheller

Ray Vierheller New Member

Book goes 210 and shifts, Deceglie (shorter wheelbase, more power, mor torque) goes 210 and shifts, Heckel goes 205 and shifts, Bob Bailey goes 201 and shifts, Browell goes 180 and shifts, Tanksley goes almost 200 and shifts (all of the above cars are typically on a string). I doubt safety is a factor. Like in Pro Stock when they outlawed air shifters...everyone got better. Straight from Craig Liberty..."no one ever complained about not having their airshifter."

I'm all for the doing away with automated shifters. Could care less about the transbrake switch because all I've ever used is the $50 Jegster deal anyway. Same button in 9 second Super Mod, 8 second door slammer and 7 second dragster. Find your spot on the tree with each car and focus. You can ether do it or you can't. Those that can't get beat or kill their index.

11. Craig Bourgeois

Richie,
    2 out of three ain't bad, but you must be smoking something REALLY good tonight. Make sure you call me and explain this to me.

12. Richie Rosen

Richie Rosen Member

Craig,:rolleyes:
    I can see by your response that u didn't give much thought to what I proposed. I really believe that the 5, 5, 4 tenth tree will help stop most of the red lights that most of the performance short racers are getting. Be open minded, your blinded by your BLINDER. If your still not sure of my post then call me for what time we are going to lunch.

#92 Richie Rosen, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  13. Rob Harrison

Richie, are you suggesting the .400 time slot is between the last yellow and the green and as a result, using a blinder or not , there would be less red lights due to the quicker transition in that spot? It would slow the RT's down....less red lights.....it'd be a tough sell to NHRA.

14. Richie Rosen

Richie Rosen Member

Rob,
    Well the fan in the stand see's the first couple of cars red light and the other shuts off. Confusion, yes. The .4 tenth tree on the last bulb will do away with alot of red lights and give the fans green light racing. It will also remove the need for having a switch with alot of throw to delay your reaction time. Just how many crutches does a racer need before staging his or her car.

There are great drivers, good drivers and some no drivers in our sport but the .4 tree will help all.

Been doing this racing for along time and it's just my opinion. If NHRA is so blinded not to help the situation so be it.

#94 Richie Rosen, Nov 7, 2007
  15. Ray Hadford

Ray Hadford Member

Please Consider a .400 Pro Tree For Comp.

The best solution to all of this is a .400 Pro Tree.

This would allow the current rules and currently accepted switches to continue as is. (no electronic delay boxes of the type used in Super Comp.)

A large future headache for racers and the NHRA Tech. crew would be eliminated.

Switch and clutch linkage rule changes are not necessary.

Very little delay will be required on a .400 tree. Delay devices would give you little or no advantage.

Everything in the launch mechanism rule department can be left just as it is and we can go race with considerably fewer red lights.

This change would provide a level playing field between Torque Converter / Transbrake and Pedal Clutch Cars.

The .400 Pro tree was introduced for the Pro Classes in 1970 to deal with the same conditions we have in Comp. Eliminator today. In 1970, Top Fuel did not have car reaction times as quick as we have today in Comp.

As I have stated in the past.... NHRA currently accomodates a number of tree combinations for various eliminators. All we have to do as a group, is agree on something and NHRA can and will do it.

The split .500 full and .400 Pro tree would accomodate everyone until they are comfortable with the change. The .400 Pro Tree would become the tree of choice very quickly for cars at all performance levels.

Ray H.

16. J Tanksley

J Tanksley New Member

:)Well said Mr.Rosen, but another advantage to the 400. tree is, it would help keep all the indexes trimed back ,due to the simple fact that there would be more finish line drag racing in comp. Yes it would be a slight disadvantage for the racers that have found the magic recipe for the current system, but great drivers will always strive! Its a win win deal for everyone, including you Craig. LOL! HOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

#96 J Tanksley, Nov 7, 2007
  17. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

I think rear-engined dragster guys might complain about not having an airshifter!

18. Ed Urcis

Ed Urcis Member

As a driver,I like the pro .400 tree,it's a lot easier for me to cut a near perfect light,with a lot less chance to red light.As a racer in comp,at the low end of the ladder,I perfer a tree where its easier for my competition to red light or be considerably late.So until I start to qualify in the top half,leave it alone,and if I ever get fast enough to be in the top half,then change it to a pro .400 tree.At least I admit that I selfish and out for my own good!!!! The rules are the rules,good drivers will figure out what they need to do to do their best,and some of the others will complain, make excuses, and come up with all sorts of reasons why things need to be changed.
    Unfortunately in motorsports ,our equipment changes(advances) at a much faster rate than sports that use bats,balls,racquets,poles,sticks,strings,ropes and such.And so I can understand the reasoning behind rules changes to attempt to keep things on an equal playing field for all competitors.One problem though is that we are all not equal. Some spend more money,some more time,some are smarter,some are physically better,some are more organized ,some are better craftsmen,some have more friends and connections,and on and on.It is up to each driver/team to figure out their strengths and take advantage of those to improve themselves.
    Anyway,I guess what I am trying to say is that we all have our own opinion on rule changes that make sense to us and are for the good of the sport in our opinion,and otherrules changes that aren't.Is changing the tree one of them?I guess thats why we are having this discussion. Ed

19. Rob Harrison

Well Super Sport "thought" that was the reason for the spec button. Since the delay is still allowed, what was the point of this spec button rule?

20. Rob Harrison

So the sole reason the spec button has been implemented, was to standardize the "amount of delay". I will never understand the thinking behind that.