Waaaay outside the box idea

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

Yeah this would be a parity nightmare, but maybe it would shake things up enough to get some new blood in the class.

I don't know all the details, but here's the rough concept that would need some refining.

Obviously these numbers below could be refined to be a better fit. I'm just using the .50's because it's easier numbers.

First the base concept. Index would be based on what the cars actually run, no more .50 or whatever under the index. Group all of Comp's classes into the following groups with the corresponding index:

AA - 6.00
    BB - 6.50
    CC - 7.00
    DD - 7.50
    A - 6.50
    B - 7.00
    C - 7.50
    D - 8.00
    E - 8.50
    F - 9.00

Heads up, first guy to the stripe wins, .500 PRO tree. Qualifying within class, class eliminations to advance to combined ladder. If there is a class with a single entry, will race another car in single entry class off index handicap. There are obvious details that would have to be worked out in regards to ladder.

AA-DD would be power adder classes. A-F would be N/A classes.

Ok, let's say everyone likes this, NHRA likes this, and it was to happen. My thoughts would be to make 2018 a transition year. In 2018 everyone would be put into their new classes and race under the current style handicapped format. A committee of racers and tech officials (may pull a retired tech guy or racer back into service) would figure out how to get all of the classes worked into the new indexes. Maybe it's add or subtract weight. Maybe it's more CID or less CID. Try to be rigid as possible and not turn it into "well my car will never run that quick and I can't put that much weight on, so we need another class with a 8.25 index. Pretty soon we defeat the purpose of consolidation and simplification.

To be clear, these would still be classes based on weight, and rules of the current sub-class. (altered, econo, super mod, etc). Obviously there would be some modification and some conglomeration there. This idea IS NOT just pick an index and run it. This is heads up, first to the finish line wins.

2018 would be a transition year to get the class performances in line while still racing under the current format. 2018 would be reviewed by the same panel quarterly or at least bi-annually. 2019 it would transition into the full on heads up Comp.

Drastic times call for drastic measures. More one-off classes hasn't helped. Giving back index hasn't helped. Personal Indexes hasn't helped.

Feel free to fire away. If you see me at the track, feel free to explain to me how bad or good this idea is, but it will cost you a beer.

Backyard Bandit likes this.
  2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

Subclasses for example:

A/DE (A/Dragster econo), D/SM (D super mod), B/A. However instead of individual indexes, you run all A cars, or against B cars, etc, heads up on that index.

If the B/D subclass is showing an advantage on the rest of the B class cars, B/D may get weight added.

Tire restrictions could be in play here too.

3. jeremytanksley

jeremytanksley New Member

Your idea would bring on more heads up runs and therefore make the category fun again. There'd be fewer places for people to hide, kind of like the old days.

My thinking is you can do a similar thing by shrinking the class list back the way it used to be - remerge the autos with stick cars, but do so with new weight breaks that reflect current advances in auto trans technology.

While more heads up runs would look good for the category, an increase in payout would be the biggest incentive I think for more people to participate.

#3 jeremytanksley, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

In my opinion this would just evolve into 10 mini variations of Pro Stock/Pro Mod

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

I think it gets back to what Comp was designed to be - a heads up class. I don't think driving the stripe was even a thing back then.

The best Comp drivers aren't necessarily the guy who can hit shift points, bang gears or wrestle and altered or roadster down the track, it's really the best bracket racer driver paired with a good engine builder and crew chief. Sometimes those are all the same person. You're not going to be fast very long if you can't drive the stripe and cut a good light on a bottom bulb.

Let's be truthful - I don't see many TD/TS racers looking over and thinking about crossing over to Comp. There are a few.

I would also be for making whatever CIC/Factoring system would be in place go off 1000' et for the subclass. It would be very difficult, not impossible, to sandbag 1000' et in a heads up race.

ken reich and FLAT like this.
  6. rognelson777

rognelson777 Member

Will, it can be done with about 6 classes, With the computer programs that are out there today you can come close to the corrected cubic inch to weight factors relatively easily by picking 1 class as the slowest and add weight to the other class factors. This will allow racers to either add weight or cut cubic inches. I would not be surprised if it brought in some outdated cars that were overweight before and would now be competitive.

PS the world has changed since Comp Started, We now talk about .10 of a second as a huge advantage. Maybe too much info.

7. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    K/AA for sale (nice one owner).........

8. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

What's the saying..... driven my a little old lady from Pasadena not an old dude from just outside of Pasadena

guitar builder likes this.
  9. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Ramond you ain't nice. Or did you mean the car??
    Clark Smiley

10. Backyard Bandit

And what would be bad about that?

11. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

I didn't say it was bad or good. In my opinion that's not Comp.