What a run by John Mihovetz at Pomona!

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by compfan1, Nov 10, 2011.

1. compfan1

compfan1 Member

Comp. Q1 at Pomona - John Mihovetz Runs 6.083/236.84/-1.187, Now #1 BB/AT Index: 7.27
    Those numbers would qualify him in Pro Mod at most events! An absolutely great run!

2. toyotaturbo

toyotaturbo Member

Let the turbos sing! We came close to having the 2nd ever 5 second Comp pass!

3. greg williams

greg williams Member

What the heck ? Let's go ahead & open this can of worms.
    Now how out of whack is that index? Are the guys that run the power adder classes just that much sharper than the rest of us or do their indexs need a review?
    Greg williams

4. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

How about the poor guy that may have towed and spent 2 th dollars gets him first round . That has been my complaint all along . Now we all know his chance of winning the race is almost none . But that car he runs first round has no chance either if he runs like that again .

5. ken reich

ken reich Member

Turbos

Lets not waste our breath,its bogus,screws up the ladder, and makes me want to puke!

6. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Charlie, Joey would only have to run a 6.17 to take the pole away from him.lol

7. cutta

cutta Member

Its bogus! In this case, John Mihovetz is the Billy Glidden of the boosted ford overhead cam engines and has been leaps ahead of anybody else with this combo. He is by far above average with his combo. The average car in that class should be capable of 6.30's so at very least the index should be 6.80 or around that number. AA and all of the under boosted classes should get looked at more closely as well but in all cases, it takes cars in those classes for the index to be adjusted and currently, there are only specks of boosted comp cars out there so there indexes are fairly safe. Honestly, thank God for Mihovetz for showing the potential of the class.

8. JJKay

JJKay New Member

x2 on that!

9. smatusek

smatusek New Member

I've got 2 engines, turbos and a clutch if any of you detractors have enough kahunas to get into this class!!!!! Buttons, blinders and automatic shifters, I am impressed.

Steve Matusek

10. Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson Member

1.18 under

I agree with you Steve, Give John Alot of credit for getting that much power to get down Pomona track once and then again , with incredibly close run numbers, Like you said , Bring your Balls forward Boys!!!

11. Justin Rosen

Justin Rosen Member

ok, i'll throw some youngin knowledge into this.

NHRA has/had no idea of the potential of a turbo car when they made these classes. I dont blame them because the power is almost endless(especially the way they set it up). You have an almost unlimited amount of air that you can shove into the motor with a turbo(s). First problem with this class is there is no limit on turbo size, thus almost no limit on power. Limit the turbo(s) and you can have some control. So i guess NHRA is going to fix that in the off season.

I deffentially do not discredit that awesome run, it takes some serious tuning to get those cars that fast and not many people can do it or have the money. Id be all over H/D if me/my parents had an unlimited budget.

If this doesnt tell NHRA the story idk what will.

12. J. Mihovetz

J. Mihovetz New Member

Thanks guys for the nice comments and Steve, thanks for the nice car. As for being a bogus index, well that's not my problem, but is it really bogus? Lets see, the record is 6.85. I race within the rules and I'm over weight. Show me any other combo even close to what our displacement / vs horsepower is anywhere in the country. Secondly, I don't really give a shit about the Poor guy in round 1 because I used to be that guy. I spend 7 days a week doing this and that's the only reason my stuff is this fast. Look in the pits and open your eyes, theres hardly anyone poor in Comp. Its racing and most certainly I have lost more than I have won. If they are that worried about it then I'd suggest they work on not being in the #17 spot.

As for showing the potential of the class, hardly. What it does show is the potential of hard work and dedication. Try it some time. You could be surprised at the results.

Steve has 2 competitive engines for sale. Hell, come drive my car, I certainly can't cut a light. The windshield shakes too much to see it.

My car isn't a Comp car. Never will be. Thats for the pussies with the automatics, blinders, pushrods and excuses. I just came out to have fun and test for next weekend. I can guarantee you that we will not run Saturday if it is after dark. Too many cars crash and I don't plan to be one of them.

John

13. comp6869

comp6869 Member

John Mihovetz

Well said John... Good Luck This Weekend.

Chad Perkin

14. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Well-Known Member

Yeah What he said. Not Many Can say that they could or would Tune / Drive a beast like that. That car has got to be a handfull.

Gotta wonder how this might play out in the championship though. If ficco or Biondo gets his 1st or second round, it could really change things.

15. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Hey, John awesome pair of runs today!!! Your making my record look bad, hahahaha. I'll call you in a couple of weeks, got a few questions on some things again.

Joe

16. proheaders

proheaders New Member

John, AMEN to your statement. There are quite a few people in performance based classes that forget the most important things about. One, it still requires the dedication and excitement you had when you chose this style of racing. Two, when you work this hard and get the combination figured out with money well long spent and long hours to do so thinking and trying how to overcome this mountain......welcome to the other side where it pays off.

I personally applaud you for your dedication to your performance.....that is why you are at the top of the sheet......

Keep striving to be there....

Proheader

17. Fast1

Fast1 Member

Thanks guys for the nice comments and Steve, thanks for the nice car. As for being a bogus index, well that's not my problem, but is it really bogus? Lets see, the record is 6.85. I race within the rules and I'm over weight. Show me any other combo even close to what our displacement / vs horsepower is anywhere in the country. Secondly, I don't really give a shit about the Poor guy in round 1 because I used to be that guy. I spend 7 days a week doing this and that's the only reason my stuff is this fast. Look in the pits and open your eyes, theres hardly anyone poor in Comp. Its racing and most certainly I have lost more than I have won. If they are that worried about it then I'd suggest they work on not being in the #17 spot.

As for showing the potential of the class, hardly. What it does show is the potential of hard work and dedication. Try it some time. You could be surprised at the results.

Steve has 2 competitive engines for sale. Hell, come drive my car, I certainly can't cut a light. The windshield shakes too much to see it.

My car isn't a Comp car. Never will be. Thats for the pussies with the automatics, blinders, pushrods and excuses. I just came out to have fun and test for next weekend. I can guarantee you that we will not run Saturday if it is after dark. Too many cars crash and I don't plan to be one of them.

Are you for real? Take ANY comp class WITHOUT a BLOWER OR TURBO or NITROUS and try to run even close to that. I don't care how hard you work on it. You would have NO chance of running that fast. Try it some time, like the rest of the, as you say not so smart comp racers, have been doing for as long as I can remember. And lets get the facts straight. The only reason your stuff IS that fast is because of the power adder. If you really want to impress people, take the power adder off and attempt to run even close to that.

18. J. Mihovetz

J. Mihovetz New Member

Eddie, yes I am for real. Look at the number 1 spot. I never said anyone here wasn't smart. When was the last carbureted car delivered from any factory? I can't help that some guys are still running mechanical injection either. Either embrace the future or live in the past I really don't care.
    Try running 6.0s with 282 inches and tell me how its done. And fyi its not my first day at the races, ran a lot of N/A stuff 20 years ago. Does not interest me but If it did you can bet your ass that I'd still be working 7 days a week there as well.

Did you just figure out that power adders are faster? You can sit on the fence grumbling like a typical redneck or you can come over to my pit and learn something. You will learn a lot more with your ears open and your mouth shut.

Since its such a soft class I wonder why none of the other comp teams don't step up. I mean its easy right. Comp is about innovation and I have certainly met some smart people running comp. Learned a lot too.

John

19. Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee Member

John, it's amazing what you, George, and your crew have accomplished with a teenie tiny POS Ford Modular 288" engine. Especially with a stock Ford block, and factory valvetrain pieces to boot. George keeps us faithful apprised of your program on Yellow Bullet. Keep up the hard work, and keep bringing the small cubed modular Fords to the front. Congrats on another outstanding job !!!

20. PerErik Lindgren

"I mean its easy right. Comp is about innovation and I have certainly met some smart people running comp. Learned a lot too. "

6,08 -- easy, yeah right..
    Very impressing!!

I have a procharged EcoTec with bigstuff and no engine guru to
    ask how to do-- it works fine but is it easy??
    My hat is of for you John!! Good luck!!