What a run by John Mihovetz at Pomona!

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by compfan1, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Insidegeorge

Insidegeorge New Member

Some cars are faster and some cars are slower. To me, the beauty of Comp Elim is the movable target known as "the index". Were it not for that, and all the thinking that goes into the study of "the index", Comp Elim would be just another bracket race.

Long live Comp Eliminator.

2. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

As bad as I would hate to run that car in a race it would`nt be fair to take away any of his index . You have to admit that car is fun to watch and the fans play a big role in how long comp stays around . If NHRA starts taking away index from a legal car it would hurt the class of comp . It would`nt be fair to come up now and say he has to run a smaller turbo . Just my thoughts this morning .

3. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

IF a person was serious about running comp why would you show all your cards when an -80 would take the #1QF spot. This has become a game show.

4. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

It may have been premature for John to say that he is running the small stuff already.. but like previously stated in this thread, the car is 120 lbs heavy and already running the smaller turbo, so where would NHRA go from here in making a change to BB/AT??.. it's legal, too bad..

And why didn't he click it and just go 80 or 90 under for the #1 spot??.. he's testing for his next heads up race.. he wants a full pull on that track dyno..

5. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I belive he did say he was testing . I can`t think of a better time to test than at a nat event , track would be as good as you will see at testing . At test and tune when we use to test the track always sucked . By the way there was a AA/AT car that was 600 lbs too heavy this year .

#65 C Tanksley, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. J. Mihovetz

J. Mihovetz New Member

Don't be surprised if we don't try and run a 5 something today. I certainly am having fun and that's a pretty good way to end the year.

John

7. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Have fun and be safe, John.. just make it to the final in one piece, including the motor...

8. Jack Issi

Jack Issi Member

Mihovetz’s Ford Mustang produces 52 pounds of boost from the pair of 80mm turbochargers at 9,600 RPM as it sails through the traps, creating in the neighborhood of 2,500 horsepower. The little 281 is backed by a 4-speed Lenco transmission and a 9-inch clutch that propels the 2,460-pound car.

:eek::eek::cool: 5 second run?..........I believe!

9. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Agreed Charlie and we did test at the ET race for better conditions. Deep into the final rounds we slowed the program a bunch servicing the car. We where asked not to come back.

Maybe to slow the use of comp for testing an entry points program should be used.

10. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Well-Known Member

BIG! CIC for the BB/AT guys Wow 94 under in Eliminations. Could this be the single largest cic hit EVER.

11. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

going to round 3 Fico needs to just go green .

12. steve1724

steve1724 Member

Rick, would'nt it make new people getting into Comp alot harder?

13. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Getting hard to justify running comp now for many. Comp especially a national should not be used for testing. IMO

14. TobyG

TobyG New Member

Why not? Is there something wrong with going fast? Its to bad the thought process of some Comp racers has evolved into protecting index not making car go faster.

15. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with going fast, Toby, just ask Lou or Clint, they went fast AND hit their index, Lou's the Champ as a result (partly) of that, but Rick has a good point, some sort of grade points(no. of races attended) should be recognized. Out of respect for the Comp racer's that have raced a lot and if they have been successful, hit their index as a result.

Ya, we want more people in Comp, but we're not more desperate than any other class. John openly said he didn't like being pushed to the back of the bus, well welcome to Comp at a National event, they have to accomodate the Pro's and anyone that has raced Comp for the last couple of decades, understands that.

Those ProStreet races are the feature of whatever program the track is running. Comp will seldom be the feature class, unless you are at a track run by Rodger Brogdon and Steve Kent. Not such a bad thing, just the way it is running Comp along side of the Pro's.

16. andymannaracing

andymannaracing New Member

congrats john. that car is badass.

andy jr

ps..... i was joking around today with my dad, that im pretty sure i could win 8 or 10 races in a car that fast.

just sayin.... 60k huh? lemme count my pennies.

oh shit nevermind. im retired.

17. TobyG

TobyG New Member

Don't you see the irony to all of this? How often has there been complaining on this board about an index being too soft? Countless times. Now you have a guy that has worked his ass off and literally adjusted the index to where it should be. Now there are people complaining about the guy hitting the index.

If an index gets hit, that is good. This means every other class just became more competitive.

If one guy hits an index and negatively effects the other guys running that class, too bad, welcome to Comp. If you don't want some other racer hitting your index, go run bracket classes.

18. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Not complaining about the index hit, amazing performance, hard work and money but the disruption of the competition. What if it changed to championship out come? A commitment to running comp is needed. IMO

19. PeteAdams

PeteAdams New Member

I have to admit I havent been following the whole thread but just to make a qwick assesment I can only assume the ussual suspects are crying the same worthless song. Its allways allright when they hit the index or do something stupid but when someone else does it they should be disbared... Bottom line is his car is legal if it would have affected a championship then he would have been an asshole right? But everybody and there mother were over in Grahms pits trying all they could to get him to affect the outcome of said championship but thats ok right... I'm sure john had every intention of trying to win this race and he was legal to do it, so like Alan said work on your shit and stop crying, this is comp eliminater.... Dahm it, everyone on this thread need to eat a spoon full of concrete and harden the fuck up......

20. Bob Panella

Bob Panella New Member

Pete, I have never met you but you are my hero.