What a run by John Mihovetz at Pomona!

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by compfan1, Nov 10, 2011.

1. andymannaracing

andymannaracing New Member

^^^^^^x2 im with you bob.

2. steve1724

steve1724 Member

What I was getting at is:
    One - if you need grade points at divisional races, then you’ll have trouble getting into Comp. I already know you have to have grade points for national events.
    Two – nothing worthwhile comes easy (you have to earn your way).
    Three – the guys running turbo have and still are working hard to get their cars consistently fast, plus they are fun to watch.
    John congratulations and good luck next weekend. Just my two cents.

3. Insidegeorge

Insidegeorge New Member

4. CurleysRacecars

CurleysRacecars New Member

Pete is definitely the coolest guy Ive met. I certainly enjoy reading his posts on here, and enjoy racing with him even more. Go Pete! :)

5. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

yes, that was an awesome pass...and I thought the 6.33 pass I witnessed from the burnout box last year was good...John, well done!!!
    Terry

6. Wally Williams

Wally Williams New Member

That is a "Bad Ass" car!!! Not everyone could do that. Let's give him credit for a job WELL DONE!!!

7. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Just to clarify my comments on the issue. I really hope no one thought I was taking shots at John or taking anything away from his outstanding performance. I have never met him but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how hard a guy has to work on a combo to get it to do that. Also very impressive that he seems to go down on a consistent basis, not only a good tuner, but must be a heck of a driver too. You could probably give a lot of guys that kind of power and they wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.

My issue was never with John, it is, and always has been with the NHRA and how they seem to have missed on the power adder indexes (although some seem better than others). I don't know anything about turbo stuff, but what I do know is that no matter how hard I work, how much money I spend, or who is in my corner, my B/D will never go 6.06 (-1.18). The same can be said for an F/ED, L/AA, B/SM, B/EA ect.

I dont have the answers, but to me, a class with so many hard working, smart and wealthy people shouldnt have a 6 tenths discrepency between the #1 and #2 qualifiers.

My initial thought was to lift the .10 limit on index hits for power adders.

8. Backyard Bandit

How can you penalize one class differently than another? How narrow minded are you?

9. Brian Landies

The same way one class forces air into its engine and the other doesn't. I'm done with this.

10. andymannaracing

andymannaracing New Member

so what, john has a soft class. and he works hard on his stuff and only comes out once in a while. No one gave a shit when he was paying to get in and going slow. or would break on the first pass and go home.... or when the inconsistent yellow car went into the wall...

its not because nhra missed the boat on the power adder class, its because there are only a few people that run that class.... and they do a good job protecting the index. all the popular classes get hit a little (or a lot) every year because there are soo many people in all of them out on the weekends tryin to win races. if no one hit your class for 5 years... while you were home learning and testing.....all the other classes would have been trimmed except yours.... and you would have a performance advantage.

this was the same issue i had with comp when i was racing. people spend too much time worring about other racers and what they have and how fast they are and whose cheating and all the BS that circulates...and its all just that...

BS

/post

11. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Member

Its gonna be the same for all the power adder classes. Nobody is bitching about Rick Hord now, but once they figure it out there will probably be another thread just like this one. Same goes with the H/D, I/D, CC/AT, AA/AT etc, classes that all have potential to run the same sort of crazy numbers.

12. Brian Landies

Yes you guys are right the system is perfect no flaws at all my bad

#92 Brian Landies, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. Insidegeorge

Insidegeorge New Member

The only "perfect" system as to how to match up two cars in which one car is quicker than the other car is called "bracket racing". Have a good time.

14. Bruce H

Bruce H Member

Like I said a long time ago, make the class record the class index. Everybody works on their equipment and runs flat out. You know that thing called racing.

Bruce H.

15. Backyard Bandit

AMEN!!! I agree with this!

16. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

Now THAT was a pretty run. What an amazing first 330!

John, if you're still on here, what did the run look like on the computer? Since you mentioned you might be heading for the fives I'd think you saw room for improvement.

Like others have said that was a stout pass regardless of which side you're on.

17. caveman

caveman New Member

Nice pass. What a great way to make a low 7 second pass at well over 200 look slow! :)

I'd highly recommend for any of you guys that are interested in learning more about power adders to go to the street car supernationals. I've gone a couple of times back east and the slowest cars on the property were running low 8's. C-R-A-Z-Y!! At the very least you can learn that there is a limit to the potential of turbo cars and that it is stoopid fast. Enjoy.

18. cutta

cutta Member

This is way off topic but this thread has got me pondering about something.
    I wonder what would happen if Petty of Pro Line Race Engines came to tune one of the AA/AT or BB/AT cars. With the success he's had with everything turbo, I've got to believe he would make some lucky Comp racer happy with the results of his tuning capabilities. Of course it would cost, but the results could quite possibly be great. But what ifs don't matter in real life

19. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

It would be hard for me to belive anybody could get on that BB/AT tuneup of John and crew .

20. jim wiens

jim wiens New Member

Would not an easy solution be...........Anything faster than .700 under would be a 1-1 drop 1.0 under .300 permanent hit??? The AA/AT BB/AT indexes were not soft 10 years ago. Turbo technology has grown big time the last few years.Power management,EFI,etc etc. Is it fair that i can spent 7k on the latest billet turbo and pick up 150 hp and the ''standard'' comp guy will have to beat on a dyno all winter spend 3x that and pick up 15 interesting question no good answers