What is an index?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Brian Landies, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

#1 Brian Landies, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    guitar builder likes this.
  2. DE3

DE3 Active Member

The problem is that the classes that were added after the "core" classes that made up Comp up though most of the 90's were not given realistic indexes. Just look at the history of what some of them started at. Most people knew the potential of any combo being considered, but most were still given indexes out in left field. How many A/ND's would have been built if the index was say 7.60 at the time and not 8.15? The Pro Mods don't really run enough races to take either the automatic hit, or damage themselves enough in eliminations because they can't get down the track, or were just testing and don't even show for first round.

3. comp6869

comp6869 Member

How many times has one of them cars won? Does it really matter? There are 3 more cars racing.

toyotaturbo and guitar builder like this.
  4. comp6869

comp6869 Member

I know your families heart is in comp, I also think that 4 pro mods showed up to a divisional race and increased the car count with over 20%. That's what it's about, yea their indexes are clearly soft, but the showed up and played. Them Pro Mod classes have been around for along time. If they decide to show up that's great! I support any new cars to the track!

Let's keep them coming!

5. 377 D/A

377 D/A Member

as i understand it they are there for the grade point so as to avoid a huge fee they would pay to nhra to run a promod event had they not attended the points race, so yes there were 4 cars there but they wont be ever again. so the car count is in fact unchanged in reality.

ian

6. comp6869

comp6869 Member

Silverado are faster than that! Too soft.

7. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

NHRA knows exactly what an average pro mod can run so why not give them a realistic index and if you are going for a grade point only just pass up the scales and be DQed and stay off of the ladder. jmho

8. projack

projack Member

I am just guessing at this....as I have never spoken to either of the guys who ran in Vegas, but maybe they were testing? And the one guy went red, and the other one was a no show 1st round. The only PMs I know who have actually run at the divisional, are there to test. Last year before the U.S. Nationals, I know of several PM's that stopped in Bowling Green at the divisional, payed the entry fee, got the grade point and headed to St. Louis to actually test so they could run Indy. Ever consider how Big Chief was able to run Indy? I'm not sure where he payed an entry too, but that's how he got his grade point to be able to run PM.

But not to take away from what Brian brought up. This entire idea that PM's have to "run" comp to get a grade point is a total contradiction to everything Comp is supposed to be. Because the one time a PM car actually decides to run the class at a race and try and go rounds, the index is completely bogus.

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

As a side note, a Pro Mod competitor gets one grade point with his/her license. That's how he got his grade point for Indy.

I have recommended to NHRA to just let racers buy a grade point with the equivalent of a divisional tech card, or even a 'convienience fee.' At least to do it for a racer that has documented experience. Let's say he raced 10 years ago, took some time off and wants to get back in, let him buy one grade point so he can enter a national if he desires. Easy money for NHRA, and you don't see them turn that down often.

10. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Member

Back when the pro mod indexes were set they were more reasonable. Those cars have picked up probably .20 since then, but nobody runs comp with one the indexes don't get hit.

11. Adger Smith

Adger Smith Member

#11 Adger Smith, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017