Wow!

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Dave Ring, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

There were too many red lights but looking back 7 of the 11 were -.023 or less. Which are racers trying to save their cic for next round. Only 3 were bad redlights and that happens from time to time. Also take into the equation that it was the first race of the season for some and they only had two qualifying runs.

2. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Catching to good of a light is just about as bad a slow light . Sometimes you will catch the guy too early and start wheel racing our car is not the kind of car you can wheel race with very good . If I am going to wheel race i want a motor that makes a lot of tourq like a straight 6 or a big block .

3. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

If Brian is right , NHRA doesn't care about the redlight's in Sportsman racing , then Comp's status will not be affected . I'm happy to "leave comp alone" , but the often redlight no racing result , is not good for comp.

I bet there has not been a redlight free comp race in 2 years.....maybe ever. There certainly has been plenty of P/S races red free , cause NHRA would not tolerate it , I guess Brian is right , Sportsman racing is off the radar screen for importance.

4. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

The very first race for div 4 was only 3 red lights . So why? about half of div 4 racers are on the blinder . About the only way a blinder driver can red light is cause he staged too deep or he was`nt paying attention or got dark . So put everbody on the blinder .500 pro tree will fix 90% of the red lights .

5. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Rob believe me I am not saying red lights are good for comp. I was just disagreeing with the pro tree being the fix. I think it would create more problems than it would solve. pro stock drivers make 300 runs a year. Most comp racers would be lucky to make 50. They have more practice and on top of it they don't have to worry about cic.

6. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

You guys do understand that the "Red Light" is part of racing right? If it wasn't it would not be on the tree........LEAVE COMP ALONE !!! The easiest way to ELIMINATE red lights is to let everybody run a delay box....and we all know how gay that is......lol What REALLY needs to happen is we need to STOP trying to fix the rules every weekend and drag your shit out to the racetrack and race it instead of all of this politicing!

I guess I'm just a little pissed becouse you guys have something to race ( and are still bitching )and I don't.TRUST ME you don't know what you have until it gone! Have fun,go race .......while you still can.

#66 Shane Heckel, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  7. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Right on Shane.

I dont like red lights either mainly cause not enough red light against me LOL. While were on the subject aside from Bruno's red light which is such a shi..y way to lose period! Super Stock has almost exactly 33 percent red lights per pair. I dont think anything needs changed period! Leave it alone.

8. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Now I give up . Sorry I said anything , leave comp alone again .

9. JSwartz3300

JSwartz3300 New Member

LOL You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.

10. Rob Harrison

If redlight's are part of racing and the number of them in any category is not relevant , then why did they change the speed of the tree for the Pro's ? Yes they make more runs per year so they are better for that , but you put those Pro's on a .500 tree....that'd give a whole new meaning to redlight's.

11. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

well now that comp is left alone, to get more consistent I'm going to start using the practice tree more and the red cup less...lol

12. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

Rob,Comp is not a Pro Class,thats why it's not relevent to NHRA...ONE MORE TIME! If it wasn't part of racing the red bulb would not be on the tree..... If NHRA was worried about the amount of red lights they would allow a delay box! Hell,you could go to a freaking instant green and some people would screw that up too. Jason Line went red in the finals of that abortion Bruton Smith calls a race,I guess he will need to go to a .3tenths tree now.....

Some of you guys are missing the boat,not everyone is for changing the tree...Im willing to bet that the better drivers of the class would be against changing the tree becouse the would lose the advantage they have now.

And one more thing,some of the guys that can't run -65 under,better think twice about the red light deal.....If they can't go red,then the -40 under players won't win any rounds...........:eek:

#72 Shane Heckel, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  13. Rob Harrison

Shane , you have an interesting take on this , "Comp is not a Pro Class", " no red , the -40 under guy won't have any chance" , didn't occur to me. I'm sure the better driver's would be against changing the tree , but I wasn't concerned about them.

The number of redlight's was at the heart of my concern for the class , I guess it will always be that way , I hope NHRA never takes notice.

14. Casey Hall

Casey Hall Member

I'm not sure how many comp guys use one but if everybody runs a blinder a .5 pro tree would be the same deal I guess. My dad doesn't use one but he decks it when both cars are staged. I guess the real question would be how many guys in the faster classes run blinders since they'd be on the rev limiter the longest. I haven't seen it in awhile but I know some guys would deck the motor when the first yellow came on and then focus on the last yellow.

And yes 8.20 in D/SMA is fast! Nice hit!

#74 Casey Hall, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  15. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Back in the day that is how AHRA did it 1 yellow and green . We ran a class in hot rod that was at Green Valley before NHRA took over track . It was real hard back then no rev limeters or line locks, had to hold the clutch with left foot heal on the brake and your toe on the gas pedal . You also had to set the RPM by watching the tack .

16. B/AP 500

B/AP 500 Member

i understand the desire to have less red lights. but consider the following, there are many races in comp that have a starting line stagger of more than one second. for people with faster cars, sitting on the line for a second plus on the chip, waiting for the tree to activate, is not an option. you have to have a full tree in comp so the car leaving last knows when to bring the motor up. a .4 full tree would work, but a .4 pro tree will not. any time you have a full tree, you have the ability to anticipate the bulb and therefore have a chance to red light. it might cut down on some red lights, but the opportunity still exists.

17. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

Thats what I was trying to say..sitting on the chip mixing up cylinders can't be good for the bullet

18. Rob Harrison

I think your key comment , Champ , "it might cut down on some red lights" is the main issue. If the .4 full tree is the only move that will work or be fair (for the reason's you stated) then it needs to be done , if it reduces the number of red lights by 20% , it's a worthwhile move.

19. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Practice would reduce it by 75%.

20. Rob Harrison

It would be nice if it was that simple.....practice on a practice tree and all the red lights go away.....at least 75% of them......NOT