Wow!

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Dave Ring, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Wade Oman

Wade Oman Member

I agree with Shaun. We need to have more drivers test the .400 full tree on the track. I don't think I would want to give a yes or no on the .400 tree until I tried it. It's kind of like getting a new manifold and one guy says it will work and another says it won't. Truth is you have to try it to find out and the .400 tree is the same way. Maybe even offer the 1st qualifying run at all the division races to have one round of .400 on the tree. I bet it would take no more than one or two races in each division and we can figure this thing out once and for all. Put it to a vote at the end of the year and move on either way.

2. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

You can TRY the .400 tree , gather all the opinions , change it if it seems to be better , but you can't change Comp. Charlie's discussion with Allen Stanfield ended this controversy (for lack of a better term) , Comp encompasses a huge number of technologically different classes and it will always be this way , the speed of the tree is best for Comp and all the crazy classes. We got N/A 4 cyl. to blown on alcohol , this is Comp , the .500 tree is there to TRY and be the best for all the classes.

The "practice" group gets to be more right , cause Comp is and will always be a .500 tree.....A/D can be racing an L/A at any given time....the tree doesn't suit either one , but they are both Comp cars .

3. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Think about it a 1400 hp P/S car has trouble cutting better than a 02 light on a 400 tree . Now take a 300 inch 3000 lb S/M let the clutch out and see how good of light you could get on the 400 tree . A clutch is slower than a transbrake car even slower than a footbrake car .

4. Brandon Huhtala

Brandon Huhtala New Member

400 tree

I have not had a chance to give you guys input on the 400 tree yet so..... I only got a few hits at it but the best I can describe it is on the 500 I find myself having to be relaxed and disciplined and I have to sit on it for a bit or I am red. With the 400 full tree, it reminds me of a pro light. You have to get jacked up and let go as soon as you see yellow. I could see how that might be tough for the heavier cars that might not be as quick on the tree. In the end, I think the 400 could work good for cars like mine but maybe not other's not sure. It would take some getting used to especially as long as most of us have been doing this. I find I am on auto pilot up there. In qualifying I was 130 and 140, 100 late. We progressivly got better but nobody was killing it over there. I had a 24 in the semis, so I know I could adjust. Did someone say.... "Leave comp alone" :rolleyes:

5. pro7474

pro7474 Member

Got a solution for the price of a comp engine update go out and buy yourself a bracket race car/dragster and go out to your local track and do some bracket racing, does the fact that guys like Flecther,Biondo,Rampy and others make hundreds of runs a year in many different classes, it got to be hard to PRACTICE when you are trying to make a car go fast and you get what 2 or at the most 3 runs each event before eliminations and while a practice tree helps it does not simulate having another car next to you with a staggered start plus you also get practice driving the top end also. I do not believe that you have to have a car as fast as your comp car either I would think that as long as you have to cut a lite and make it close at the top end in a comptetitve race it would help your driving. I know my kids run as much as they can espically with how the national and divisional schedules are this year with 6 races in the 1st 2 months and then nothing for 2 months you will get a bit rusty, they have been out bracket/practicing racing almost every weekend. Like Justin told me last Sat when he go home " I wasn't very good at the starting line but I was badd-ass at the finish line tonite" and you can win at both ends of the track.
    Just an Ideal
    Chris Lamb

#105 pro7474, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  6. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Driving the finish line is certainly a big part of winning....in most classes , but Comp is somewhat less....if you got the HP , you can win , most of the time , but you definitley don't win if you red light. The faster tree is about the only thing that could reduce that , but the slow heavy cars don't benefit.....funny how I say that , when a 3,000 lb. Comp car goes 7.99 and that could hardly be viewed as a slow car....heavy yes. Slower reacting , yes , but they kick the sh..t out of 90% of the 'other' cars , 6.50 rear gears , 3.50 1st gear...10,000 rpm...this is Comp , such a group of techno gear heads.....we need a .500 tree to deal with all of this. Why did I say this....cause being in a bracket car , driving the finish line , may help some things , but it will never make you better at reacting to a .500 tree in a 3,000 lb car @ 10,000 rpm driving the finish line. Cause you got to drive that Comp car to understand.....2.9 HP per in. comes in there somewhere.....