Younger Comp racers.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Backyard Bandit, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Backyard Bandit

Ok here it goes. My opinion is we need to get more younger guys interested in Comp. I think we should get a class for front-wheel drive N/A cars. They have to run in super/stock now. There are some really fast Honda's out there but they don't like bracket racing. If they could race without a breakout they might try it. Also there are no classes for all-wheel drive cars at all. There are a ton of those out there also. What do you guys think?

2. cutta

cutta Member

Not my cup of tea but I do think your premise is correct in attracting some younger racers.

3. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Be nice to have some snowmobiles out there too.

4. Racer3204

Racer3204 New Member

I'm a younger guy (19) who currently races stock eliminator and is interested in Comp. There are a lot of guys out there like me who already race in some class, but Comp is just too expensive right now. I'd love to run Comp someday though, and nothing beats the sound of a N/A small block with a 5-speed.

Andrew Hill 3207 D/SA

5. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Did`nt they try to get these guys before ? Andrew Hill and his D/SA is my kind of young racer . He is a fan of comp and I am a fan of stockers .

6. proheaders

proheaders New Member

I am with you Andrew, have a stocker like yours but its a big block and building a roadster for Comp in my spare time when I get some about every four months here. The price is just tough to swallow but it cost to be in this elite class. I had a conversation with an old Comp/Pro Stock guy from the west coast and we both figured out we love our kids to much to break the piggy banks to try and go this route.

Being young and starting in this game from the beginning has almost got to be impossible.....if you want more in this life, like a wife and kids....

If I didnt have any experience at this game I wouldnt even try it. But from working around it and building cars, power is the only thing that will limit my success. But I have a few good friends who have some small, small blocks that I can at least use to have fun.......

Two jobs and a family make it tough to do any racing, let alone stay WAY COMPETITIVE in Comp......one racer told me its a 24/7 job to race Comp...and we thought stocker eliminator was tough......lol

Proheader

7. cutta

cutta Member

One word of advice that I got from a veteran Comp racer was to stay single and you will be able to be successful lol. I guess these were wise words.

8. Arnie

Arnie New Member

love this guy!

9. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

That's a great attitude, Comp will always be that problem, expensive and tough, I can't imagine how "young Comp racers" can do it like we have done it.....but it is encouraging to see interest.

10. Wally Williams

Wally Williams New Member

Let Them In!

The Comp racers should welcome the imports in. They will help support the class! The best part is... not many can make it down the track under their own power! :)

Wally Williams

11. john edwards

john edwards Member

this is intresting i can speak form experiance why several kids that i know including 2 of my own are not intrested in drag racing at all and even very rearly show up it started when they were the age to run J/R dragster's there was a couple of times that my son's had beat the other driver and the parent's of the other kids got very up set , my middle son went over to the other driver (a girl) and told her how sorry he was that her father had lost his temper and had he known that he would have just lost rather that listen to her get yelled at , he refused to get back in another car and drag race again this has happened to both my younger boy's a few years ago all three of my son's came to the veagas national event i beat a well known driver in the second round and when they got down to pick me up and tow back they all 3 looked at me and asked were the sportsmanship was ,all they see is the bitching and crying that goes on , they say the back deck of the yacht is much more appealing to them

john

12. Wally Williams

This bitching and crying starts in pre-school. It's unfortunate that some never out grow it. It sounds to me that you have some good kids!

13. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

World cup finals at MIR import versus domestic it was the other way around this year, more oil downs from v8's than quote imports. J miller states it seams to swing back and forth every year. The millers seam to be stand up people so i have to believe his comments. Keep in mind they pack the place for that race.

14. Frank Sas

Frank Sas New Member

Re

Sorry to hear about the crappy experience they had. My (then12 year old) son went through something similar with screwed up parents and coaches when he tried his hand at Umping in baseball.Same outcome .Turned him off the sport as far as ever umping again.
    Competition can really bring out the ASS in a persons head:confused:A lot of adults have wrecked a lot of youngsters and there likeness of a sport whether it be motor sports ,athletic team, or individual sports. I too have seen this all to much having coached numerous sports over the years.:mad:

15. Wally Williams

I'm not sure what you mean by "domestic", but I haven't seen very many Comp cars break. Whatever the case may be... let them help support the class.

Wally Williams

16. cutta

cutta Member

I'm 25 and I have a decent idea of the cost that comes with Comp Eliminator especially since I want to run a Mopar product. I personally will have no problem putting money into it when the time comes but I do believe I will be facing a battle in managing priorities across the board(future family expenses, investing, retirement funds, etc). This is when I always think about what my dad has told me. Its hard to do it alone, but when you can get a team together to pool money, you can do some things. As long as me and my brother keep going in the right direction, I believe we can pull together and make some things happen. Who knows, I may be able to convince some of my good friends to get involved as well.

In response to bad sportsmanship, its ridiculous that people won't just leave it in the car. I'm a passionate competitor too, but I know how to turn it off. Playing sports growing up has taught me that especially with basketball. Anybody ever play a pick up game where you spend half of the game bickering about a foul, its none sense, and things like that teach to just respect each others foul calls. Its keeps people in check emotionally.

17. TobyG

TobyG New Member

If a kid is trully interested in drag racing, it doesn't matter if its rear, front or all wheel drive. They will run Comp. Bottom line the cost to compete for the most part is prohibitive no matter the class in Comp. If you don't have the money, its not going to happen. Even if you made a new class for just FWD cars, if its an attractive index you will have the older racers migrate to that class, spend a bunch of money R&D'ing it and basically outprice the kid dreaming of racing Comp.

18. Backyard Bandit

This is the point I was trying to make. There are already a lot of cars that race in these import races that would be competitive in comp. They don't try it because NHRA basically snubbed them when they sold the sport compact series to NOPI. Nopi went under and that pretty much ended the sport compact movement. The problem is no one is creating a series for them. If us Comp guys welcome them in maybe we can start getting more full fields. I'm not trying to create an argument just trying to get more young people involved in Comp.

19. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

There's a little more to the FWD situation, Ness refused to build them.....they're just plain dangerous, torque steer from hell. The slicks belong on the back of drag cars, as much as I would love to see the young guy's in Comp, the formula is never going to change, it's Comp.

There is some hope, look at Prof Dave and Kyle Cultera.....

20. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I still belive that P/S cars would be great for comp . I know that we have B/A but that is a lot of differnce . We have PST, A/PM and AA/PM why not P/S I belive the fans would love it .I belive we could get a few cars . The sport nat is comming up Steve and Rodgers car will be there they might just run in comp for testing . Last year we had a A/PM testing why not a P/S car .

#20 C Tanksley, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012