Younger Comp racers.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Backyard Bandit, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Right on the money, Dave, pardon the pun, tell the Comp guy there is a spec "aluminum" head, ports, moves, raises, 3 heads 3 different ways, dyno's them, then runs them, and the process goes on. Not to throw water on the fire, but the guy's I know that run the spec (econo) stuff, swear it's more expensive, cause Comp people just can't leave things alone.....it's their nature.

2. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

you as always are so dead on , you only have to look at Scott McClain , he come to the track is a $500 1960's top fuel trailer, but he has the best Motor that RWRE can build.
    Scott is a comp racer too the tee
    I bet that if Joey had to choose between a bling rig or a go fast part, Joey would show up with a flatbed trailer.
    as to the aluminum head , what if it was a spec head . You can port it, but no wielding, rolling, you would just have to measure the end to check that.
    What it was any cast iron head, or a spec head. This is a doable class

3. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

I give up! Thanks anyway guys.

4. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

That friend of yours with that 23 t that went 4.85 at 5.5 should be running comp now . He could give Rampy all he wanted , cause he could take weight out and run A/EA . The guy is a pretty good head porter , no slouch that is for sure . If they had a class for you guys it would be a fans choice ever race .Randy you will find on here that most of these guys will not agree with anything , but the ones that do agree won`t post I am not sure why . That is a good idea you came up with .

#104 C Tanksley, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

Thanks C!!! That guy with the 23 T is a very sharp guy, really. He has ran exclusively at Bethany his entire life, and never been caught cheating, he, and his brothers are absolute geniuses. He straightened me out also. He said he was 48 lbs. short of 5.5 when he ran that number on a test and tune at KCIR to get ready for Bethany, but still quite a pass. They used to field a two barrel deuce in AHRA in the seventies that was bad ass also, running like 7.40in the eighth at 11 lbs. Good number for that era. I was there at Bethany, and seen him run back to back low 4.90's. And that track was marginal.

6. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

The problem that i see is when they put in all these turbo classes nobody wants to run them . They have only 1 car running H/D and from what i see none in I/D . None of these new classes has brought in many racers . But if you had the P/S class and the older cars from 65 to 70 years and gave them a class like A/SMN B/SMN and C/SMN . These classes would be full of cars . Instead of of out looking for a new bunch of comp racers try to get the old ones back with the cars they love . If you got the old comp racers back you would have young racers too. Most young guys don`t have the money to build a race car let alone a comp car .

7. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

Good point C. They have been screaming for this for ever, and I don't know how competitive comp guys look at this, because they've worked their asses off to get where they are, and may not want new guys jumping in at a lower cost. And just my thoughts on the turbo versus NA, Iv'e never even heard talk about a new turbo in our area being more crowd pleasing then a old muscle car. Wyatt Halden came to our track, and made a way bigger deal out of a 68 nova, and a 68 camaro, then he did our cobalt.

8. maverick

maverick Member

Randy this is getting really entertaining,lol! Everytime you say I'm done or give up. You come back stronger than ever. So basically don't ever give up. And C, I also totally agree with your comment , My son and I would be out there in SM/N, that would be a start and we could grow from there. It really just comes down to index racing ,no shoe polish.

9. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

Yea, I lie once in a while, i never truly know when to shut up, ha. I just would love to leave the shoe polish in the trailer, with all this talk, who kinows? Maybe NHRA is listening, but I doubt it. C seems to know where I'm coming from. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, I just think there is room for that class, even if not in comp. I truly do see their point. They've got along alot of years with out my input, and will make it a lot more I'm sure. And Maverick, you seem like the type that would get involved with this and make it interesting. If it was a new class, racers from all manufactors could police at different div. races. That way all could be represented, and keep everyone in check. I know I would help at the races I attended. We could come up with some set that would be very easy to police. And once we decided on a head manufacturer, we could bring them in the loop if we had a head question. It is challenging, but far from impossible.

10. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

It is not to late to save comp, the more I think about them cars the more I belive the nostaloia muscle car would bring in a buntch of comp racers . We race a C/D and the cost of building one of these cars is out of site . The spec head muscle cars is the only way to bring in new racers . If you had one company building the heads , cheating would be hard . I am sure a few will bash th class but not many if they think about it a while .

11. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

All I know C is I would work double hard to be there. I have a 67 in the body shop now, and has been there a year, but I haven't pressed them because I was just going to run a little superstock with it in say, SS\EM with a 280 buick, but would way more push to get going in a spec, no break-out class. They will say you have all the competition you want in there with Abe Lowen, and there right, but I have 4 buick motors that are decent, but not up to his SB-2 stuff or whatever he's running. The attraction for nastagia S\M is the head technology would never change.

12. Backyard Bandit

You forgot about our I/Dragster. We've been running in Div.1 for the last 2 seasons. We are the record holder for the 1/8 mile. The guy that built our car also has an I/D. There is also a guy running one on the west coast in div.6 + 7. This is why I started this thread. I think we need to get more young people involved. But we need EFI and turbo's to get them involved.

13. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

To each his own.

14. maverick

maverick Member

Bob, Thanks for starting this thread over 7600 views, that is tellin me people are paying attention, there is interest for something more affordable for the new or younger crowd. That new econo thread is going to get ridiculous numbers.

15. Backyard Bandit

Thanks Craig. I have been in this sport for over 44 years and have seen the changes that have taken place. I'm new to Comp, but in the last 2 years have grown to really like racing in it. I just want to keep it around so that my son and the younger generation have a place to show off their ingenuity skills. But it needs to encourage these people somehow and I'm afraid that the status-quo isn't doing that. Everyone in Comp needs to keep an open mind to the new technology that the younger generation is interested in.

16. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Yes i forgot.Why can`t you have both . It is ideas to bring in more comp racers .

17. cutta

cutta Member

I really like the idea of a nostalgia super modified class utilizing a spec head from edelbrock or somewhere else. I think one way of checking heads would be to have a template for the intake that has to maintain the factory opening and maintain factory position in relation to the block deck. That would limit some of what porters can do.

Also, go ahead and make fuel injection legal such that new technology can be used as well.

18. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

Good post Cutta, good post.

19. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I was ask why not just allow these nostalgia cars to run S/M motors, that is already out there . The reason not, is cause you would`nt get the new racers that you wanted in comp . I belive you could get in a whole buntch of new racers . With 3 classes of these cars at least 25 cars or more first year . The spec head that has already been tested and proven I belive would work out to be fair for everbody . There could be a spec head for big blocks call that class A/SN . Who knows something like this class could start a whole new class by itself, might not want to run in comp . If you think them old cars cost alot of money now wait till that class is anonced you better have one already . But the idea is to save comp .

#119 C Tanksley, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  20. cutta

cutta Member

Young guys just want to go fast and even though this doesn't specifically cater to them, it does offer a place to race for a lot of cars and building car count helps everyone involved in Comp, fans and racers. Not to mention, this class would draw lots of interest I think.