Younger Comp racers.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Backyard Bandit, Jan 30, 2012.

1. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

econo

C makes alot of sense, and also, don't allow mods to heads other then milling and polishing the chamber. If you want less expensive, leave the intake alone. My experience is if you allow 1/2 inch runner to match, they'll go 3/4. Also, take the money out of the clutch by only allowing single disc 10 inch min. No computers or titanium driveline parts. No carbon fiber other then shaft for safety issues. and no, I haven't even ordered a drive shaft yet.
    you will still have a $20,000 dollar motor, but it won't be $60,000 or $70,000. I have other ideas, but we're a long way from that yet. I think if the comp guys don't want this, they still should have the last say. Let's be honest guys, they've earned their wings. Back to the heads, the manufacturer would have the last say on legality of winners, runner-ups, no 1 qualifier, and record holders. What say you?

2. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

It's all good, providing the ET's of the cars are close, with all the restrictions suggested here, the potential for improving the ET, if the rules are stretched (interpretation) is huge. As far as the 10" clutch rule (to save expense) well that would be a mistake, 7" dual disc, sintered iron clutches are a dime a dozen, used, and they are 100% reliable compared to some old 10" thing. Further to that, they are safer, don't shock the tire and break it loose .

The $ saving of the port work is significant, other than that the cost is the same to put the car together AND race it. I'm not so sure that saving would make the difference, but if it would, let's get on it, bring on the young guy's.

3. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

econo

Hey Rob, I don't really know anything about clutches, really, I just threw that out their. We ran a McCleod soft lock, and went to a seven inch dual disc and expected to set the world on fire. Bottom line is we slowed a tenth no matter where we set it, and the car was way more violent, so went back to our old setup and came right back. And needless to say the dual was three times the cost of the old fashioned single. If handled right I don't see how it could get out of control if you involve the head manufactorer. Have a penalty in spec for illigal heads and or intake that takes them out of competition for life, that would cure it. And mandate that all winners, runner-ups, record setters, and top 2 qualifiers be checked out by a rep at the track. I don't know how hard it is but Knoxville has them there at all big races. The cars would still be about 25% cheaper to build if you leave out titanium, carbon fiber, computers, and electric shocks. What say you. Also, limit them to internal pumps and no vac pump, that saves $2,000 right there. Now, I have that stuff, so I'm not trying to please myself, I just know if you're going to have spec, make it affordable, and easy to police.

4. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

I'm really not trying to be mean, just curious as to why someone wouldnt just run super gas or stock if they are looking for these kinds of performance restrictions? Why change the landscape of an entire eliminator?

Other than a million other questions, my main question is what will you do when someone kills the index in Houston or belle rose or etown? You can't spend any money to get better because of the rule restrictions, so then what? All the new classes become 40 under and just take up space in the rule book. There are already too many classes that no one runs

5. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

UGH!!.. it's Brian.. UGH!!

Good point about the indexes though.. guess they will just have to whip up some cream cheese.. LOL

6. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Yea Brian the index getting killed and nowhere to go is what i fear about that class . Now that you mention that A guy by the name of Bobby use to run the new Ecno class . The index got hit hard then they allowed the head rules to save the class . But we are a long way from having that problem . First we need the cars and then take it from there . These cars will love good air more than the rest of us do .

7. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

econo

We do run superstock, but by it's own design its not so much a performance class, nothing against it, but it is just three years behind comp on the money. We're looking for a no break-out class that's affordable is how this started. And the comp guys are getting tired of our ideas, so I say cool it, they don't want or need us.

8. Rob Harrison

Randy, ya gotta love your attitude, the brick wall you are trying to.....get around....is a result of what it takes to run Comp.....the people that run this class are f---- in the head, but we like it.....if it was easy these same people would not race anything. You have a passion to run or create a class within Comp, so it could happen, for all the right reason's........Comp is Comp.....I wish your idea was some kind of solution, but it is exactly the same idea that would change or allow people into P/S.....the nature of the class is clear....tough and too tough, but you have great attitude.

9. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

Thanks Rob, I do understand perfectly why you guys don't want this to happen, and I don't blame you, but I was just putting this out there as a possible solution to low car counts. I really doubt NHRA will say to you guys, "Hey, did you see that great idea Wilson has" so everyone rest easy, I just think there ought to be a way to make an affordable mod class all by itself then, is what would be nice, but will probably never happen. I, or no one who doesn't race comp really have no say, I truly just thought it might be something to think about.

10. Rob Harrison

And I truly agree.....the problem is,,, Comp is Comp ....and will always be...cause the people that run Comp are all the same.....

11. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Another point of view, I think alot of people are afraid of manual transmissions as many racers in other classes only know automatics. While there may be alot of classes in comp, in many classes you can use both automatic and manual. So if a dragster class works better with a manual, anyone that may be considering bringing their car in from top dragster that runs an automatic, will not even consider coming to comp because they already know they will not be able to compete with a manual. It seams to me that there are no major expenses for NHRA to add a "A" to classes that do not separate them currently. I also believe it will not change tech very much.

Hopefully bring car count up, because it doesn't look good, 22 cars pomona!!!!

12. I/D 744P

I/D 744P New Member

I agree with this. I know of 5 cars across the country that can't run -45 under with the auto trans in I/D but give us .2 back on the index and we would be real players like H/EA did last year or give a I/DA index

13. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Why would you run a auto if the rules allowed you to run a 5 speed . A 5 speed will always be faster at the same weight .

14. Backyard Bandit

#1 is the expense. #2 is the maintenance. We have a lot of things to check and look at between runs and don't have time to adjust the clutch.

15. rognelson777

That is my point, Separate the auto's and manuals into 2 different classes.

Racers who know automatics will have a place to race.

16. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Check the clutch we cut the clutch ever run change valve springs . Jet the caurbs reset the run cruve cool the motor .We cut the clutch 10 times at Indy last year .

17. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Too hard Charlie. New index is definitely the answer

18. Backyard Bandit

That is exactly why we went with an automatic!!!

19. rognelson777

Sounds like you should be running pro stock, at least then you would have more time between rounds. How many comp teams have the personnel to do this, I see alot of 2 person comp teams, makes it hard to bring in entry level teams to the class if this much between round maintenance is needed.

20. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

We have a 2 man crew . Jamie can do it a lot faster in a P/S car ,pull the clutch cut it and change ratio in 8 min . But when he is not working on a race cars he is also a auto tech in auto transmission shop . I do belive that if ever other class gets a auto so should I/D

#140 C Tanksley, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012