Younger Comp racers.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Backyard Bandit, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Or you do like me an cut it before each event and never take it out. It can be done. Gary Chomiski once told me take it out every run or dont take it out at all. As far as expense goes i dont buy that I gaurantee that a guy running a high dollar auto spends far more then a stick combo. I take mine apart about every 50 runs just to look it over and i hear guys talking about breaking autos in the higher hp stuff all the time. One trans+one clutch vs. auto+10 converters cant be even close to cheaper. Just my thoughts.

2. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

With a high hp motor like a I/D would be worse than a c/d . These motors make enough hp to cause you to have to slide the hell out of a clutch . You would be guessing on how much to take out or put in or when to lock the clutch up . I see a lot of tire shake comming without cutting the clutch .

3. Backyard Bandit

We've used 1 trans for the last 2 seasons. We have a bolt together converter with a few different stators. The stators are around $450 each. Converter was $3500. Trans was $3500. I don't think you can do a stick and clutch for that. Plus we would need a custom bellhousing and flywheel.

4. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

I hear ya either way isnt cheap by any means.

5. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

It goes back to this everone of these cars make enough power to run the numbers, but here is not enough hrs in a day to make it run like it should . None of us are pros we all have to make a living . Not complaing but most of the time, work gets in our way .

6. cutta

cutta Member

I've got another young gun question. When it comes to collecting parts to start trying to run in Comp, should I initially buy the best engine money can buy only to have a few spare sparts or would it be better to buy second tier parts in order to have leftover money to for spares and triples of everything. The reason I ask is because if there is one thing that my dad has been able to teach while bracket racing is that having spares is a valuable resource. I would hate to spend the bulk of my money on an engine knowing that if I break it, I'm gonna be down a while due to lack of parts. Now, this is a situational issue as I don't know what my racing budget will look like in the least bit because I don't know what my income will look like but its a question I've always wondered about since I will be running a cursed Mopar whenever I get there. My engine choices for a super mod car dwindle between highly specialized/hard to find spare parts engines to older technology/find spares everywhere engines. So in you guys opinion, where would your money be better spent. I'm no Billy Glidden, but he is one of those guys that encourages you to see the light in older combinations to make them run well.

Anyway, I look forward to your thoughts on this. I think I may start a new thread as well. Maybe steps to take before entering Comp Eliminator; a discussion on the best way to go about resourcing/building a competitive car.

7. Backyard Bandit

Build a turbo car!

8. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

There is not much need to have spare eng parts . Starter valve springs rockers small stuff. If you buy the right motor you should`nt be breaking it .

9. toyotaturbo

toyotaturbo Member

...........:rolleyes:

10. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

HEY CHARLIE!!!.. what was that saying comparing a spare motor to a mistress??.. can't fully remember it, but already spit out my coffee... IMAGINE THAT!!

11. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I can`t rember either , cause i saw my wife reading some of the posts the other day .