A vote count collected by NHRA in Vegas?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeremy Tanksley, Nov 2, 2015.

1. pro7474

pro7474 Member

Mark, the nhra did just announce a new contingency program that has no cost to the posting company, it is a great start
    chris lamb

2. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Yep, I saw that. It is a great start but I hope they continue on and try even more options for contingency sponsors...

3. Bman 353

Bman 353 Member

Shaun, I agree with your plan. It makes much more long term sense. Giving index back is a bad idea, just like it was a the last few times they did it. Giving qualifying $ back would help a ton, but unfortunately for all of us will never happen

4. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

can say it any better

\

What about a true Pro Stock index , with carbs or FI

A lot of the qualifying sponsors dropped out when NHRA wanted a cut . Hopefully this deal that Chris is talking about will bring people back

5. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

I like this idea

6. jeremyyouker

jeremyyouker Member

I do not have an opinion on any side of this mainly because I do not run Comp, just a fan. I do however have marketing experience and I would like to pose the following observation. The series is the Lucas Oil Series. Lucas Oil. Forrest Lucas. The guy is a brilliant businessman that owns a company that sponsors football stadiums, and multiple other things beyond Motorsports. His wife and son both drag race. Has anyone thought about instead of all joining together and trying to work with NHRA on a solution to do the same with the folks at Lucas Oil? At the end of the day it's still a business and I'm sure Forrest Lucas is passionate enough about the sportsmen, he's certainly smart enough to help with a solution to something he has a substantial personal and financial interest in.

7. DE3

DE3 Active Member

Lucas Oil puts up all of the purse money for the sportsman as it is.

8. jeremyyouker

jeremyyouker Member

I understand that Don. Seems as though they would help with participation ideas for that very reason.

9. jeremyyouker

jeremyyouker Member

My point being, if you can get Lucas on your side ( they already are) NHRA will listen to more than just the Comp contingent that's willing to fight the fight.

10. pro7474

pro7474 Member

we are all dreaming if we think the nhra is going to post more money, so the next best thing is to get some of the racers that are running other catagories to start running comp

11. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Its true NHRA will not post more. That's why we need to get the contingencies and qualifying money back to where they used to be. No money out of NHRA's pocket and money for us racers..

12. craig schuck

craig schuck Active Member

We have been in the same discussion for about 12-14 years now. We have given index back, a few times. We have added classes, and more classes, changed rules to allow already built cars from other series to join (nostalgia dragsters/pro mod/ sport compact/ pro stock truck).

We as a group have changed but comp keeps ending up in the same place year after year. Spending more money and time than ever with less coming back from payouts and contingency.

Any change to effect participation is going to have to involve money. The other changes are just short term fluff. We need qualifying money!!

13. Alan Freese

Alan Freese Active Member

No one is talking about the 90+ million dollars NHRA was paying to ESPN to produce and broadcast their shows. With NHRA doing this in house, it has to be less money. With all things being equal, where is the balance of this new found money going to go...

14. vinnyb

vinnyb Member

given index back is crazy thinking all it does is make the index wreckers have an edge to win there are some drivers that cant win a legit 5 round race with out wrecking a class ill tell you one thing craig deserves to win that 2015 championship.yes he has taken some index but he knows how to WIN at minimal cost, I don't want to start with who did wat but look at some classes that got destroyed this year, personal indexes is the only way to cure the wrecking problem its simple everydriver knows wat class he is in and knows the index so every driver is responsible to put his index on the window with shoe polish and the tower will pick it up, this is the key if you fudge the index by putting the wrong one on the window driver gets 1 year suspension no appeals nothing your out

15. Greg Porter

Greg Porter New Member

It is true that comp. is broke. I am in total agreement with Jermey Tanksley on
    Personal index's. This will help all of us budget racers from being blasted out of feeling competitive when someone on the coast gets in great air and goes crazy.
    When that happens to your class you either stay home when the dog days of summer hit or go race knowing you don't have a real chance unless luck helps you out. As for driver swaps and sell outs that will be very rare and easily policed if rules are written correctly.

Giving back index will help level the field only if personal index is instated.

If the qualifying money would return that would be a good thing, again NHRA would have to help in getting companies involved again.

These are my thoughts and having broke the only motor we have will be watching closely for a quick decision . Greg Porter D/SMA

16. Trent Gusso

Trent Gusso New Member

I agree that the CIC system is the back bone of Comp and it is necessary to allow it to work. No one likes it when their index gets hit, however over time all of the classes get evened out.

If it is true that cars get parked when their index gets hit, we will see alot more cars parked if every class gets .1 back.

Example:

C/ea racer "A" can go .50 under current index of 8.60. C/ea racer "B" has a bigger check book and can go .60 under current 8.60 index. (No permanent indexes being hit)

-Each class gets .10 back-

Racer "A" is now .60 under and happy
    Racer "B" is now .70 under and HITS C/ea index

Racer "B" switches to F/AA and is .70 under the 'new' index

Racer "A" quits racing comp because he can't afford to jump classes

If something has to be done, I support Shaun's idea to soften the blow of the year end index hits.

I am opposed to personal indexes.

Trent Gusso
    Crew

17. blown income

blown income Member

Giving index back solve NOTHING !
    The front runners in the class will still be the front runner (more power to them).
    Qualifying money will bring back more of the slower cars and at least make full fields .
    I feel to ever get more money we have to show we can have full fields...
    When is the last time Comp had a full field (DIVISION OR NATIONAL ) ?????

18. comp6869

comp6869 Member

One class per year

If you hit an index, you have to stay put until the end of the year in the class you hit. This could stop a not so great driver hurting another index in the same year. Then we give shawn's idea of you get half back next year. Just a thought.

Chad Perkin

19. Backyard Bandit

I like this idea! I also think we should get rid of temporary index hits. As far as personal index's goes, if that happens, we will just go top dragster racing! We got into Comp because it is a performance based class. If somebody puts the time and effort into making their car fast they should be able to win. We spent 5 years making our car competitive and it was a lot of hard work. Why should someone come along with a similar combo and give them a soft index? You guys complained about soft indexes constantly. If you put shoe polish on, you are bracket racing!

20. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Active Member

So what about instead of personal index you have personal hits? Racer B hits C/EA and takes that same hit to whatever other class he decides to run.

It would be easier to deal with this way too knowing race B has -.10 in any class they run.

Then at the end of the year classes with multiple hits can be adjusted accordingly.