Old Topic Needs Revival 4 Tenths Tree

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Pat Byron, Aug 18, 2008.

1. TobyG

TobyG New Member

Thats a great point!!! The CIC would be more effective at adjusting indexes if more races were actually won at the finish line rather than the starting line.

I was a big proponent of the 'get off your ass and get a practice tree' contingent. After a post was made about how the tree was adjusted for the Pros when the LEDS came around, I am thinking otherwise. Not very often is NHRA pro-active on making a change to enhance competition. They have their hands full with alot of other issues. Yet when the Pro teams were going red more often than pre-LED, there was a change made. Granted the red-light problem for Comp racers has taken a slower route than the Pro racers it is something to consider. It would be interesting to see data on the amount of red lights in Comp from ten years ago, five years ago, and this year. That might help us figure out if this red light problem is real or perceived. There are a handful of Comp racers now competing that competed ten years ago that frequent this site. Do you think that group of racers are red-lighting more now or about the same as ten years ago? Thats a que for the more 'experienced' (read older racers) to offer input. :)

If we could race without the redlights then then the CIC sytem would work, race to the stripe.[/QUOTE]

2. Steve Holloway

Steve Holloway New Member

Rob,
    The most obvious answer to your question is, one or more reps who are unhappy with their lights and who are looking for an easy fix.

You and I most often agree but on 5-5-4. Red lights would then show up as late lights.

3. Chad Voges

Chad Voges Active Member

Chad Voges

Without posting specifics, we all know that automatics have a huge starting line advantage, as far as adjusting to the .500 tree. 5-5-4 or 4-4-4 would certainly even the playing field, but why would any of the automatic guys want that?
    Most of us have to slow our cars down in one way or another to go green on a .500 tree; isn't that the antithesis of Comp?

4. Bob Panella

Bob Panella New Member

Maybe if you guys all get together and sell NHRA on the fact that with a 4-4-4 tree comp would take .3 seconds less time per run or more in eliminations they would go for it.

5. 115 B/A

115 B/A New Member

LOL ! Good point Bob . Don't think it will happen .

Dave Strouse III

6. Stephen Rosen

Stephen Rosen Member

Night Races

PS: No problems with night racing here. We were at 90 degrees, 78% humidity on a track notorious for being bad when the sun went down. Guess what, not a single incident. I do think there are instances where it needs to be called off, but nothing a rule can dictate...only observation and common sense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This subject has been a thorn is some drivers side, mainly blinder drivers. As Ray stated their was not a single incident for the Memphis Divisional race that was mainly run at night. It is ironic that certain people would voice an opinion of racing conditions when they weren't even a competitor at that specific event. I am sure there were events that were unsafe but I am completely satisfied how this event and track conditions were handled. My vote is for equal races during daytime as there are for night.

Now as for the blinder issue or changing of the tree if the majority of Comp racers can agree that we would like to see finish line racing and not the common redlights that occur, we then may see a different outcome for final rounds of competition. But remember this must be for the better of the entire
    eliminator.

7. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

NHRA could save about 2 hr on time if the door cars would adj there wheely bars before the got to the starting line . I belive some of them do it just to get somebody to look at them.

8. 115 B/A

115 B/A New Member

Charlie ,
    Thats funny ! I agree with you on that one ! They only do it because they see the prostock guys doing it . If you dont change the four link or tires they should be the same as the run before . Look at the track and adjust before you fire the car up . Thats what we do if we think an adjustment needs to be done .
    Dave Strouse III

9. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

That makes about as much sense to offer up a reason.....to at least "try" it. 554 or 444....there is no way to evaluate it's effectiveness until we try it. We can armchair theorize til the cows come home, implement it and analyze the results, if it is a waste of time and redlights continue, put the .500 tree back in concrete and stay the course. Heaven forbid , the .400 tree may be an improvement.

10. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Where would be a good spot to do that Charlie? In the grass? Or the pot hole staging lanes? I'd rather make you poor dragster guys wait then get in a big hurry and have Ian run over the wall or tree. If we go a run without shuffling weight, fourlink, ride height, tires, tire pressure, or wheelie bar height its a miracle. So we like to do it everytime. Some of the things you come up with amaze me.

11. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

The starting is not a good place either . When you adj at the starting line they got dips and waves . We adj on the floor of our trailor it is the same ever time .

12. Rob Harrison

You get the wheely bar stagger wrong and any 1.00 60' car's run is over at the hit. If the starting line is out of whack, then that is all the more reason to adjust the bars "where it is sitting"......they only touch for 15", or less, on average , once the car has made it's move, the stagger has made it's statement....a straight one, hopefully. The trailer may be a good starting point to measure, but you gotta check them on the line. Now a single bar would be much less critical....no stagger to deal with....haven't seen any ProStock cars with them ....yet.

13. Richie Rosen

Richie Rosen Member

14. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Richey all you have to do with a blinder at night is put a amber light on the back of a blinder. Then you won`t have a problem racing at night.

15. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

The only way wheelie bars would ever hit the ground where you adjusted them would be if you lanched the car in reverse!!!

16. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

The only way they would hit the ground where you adjusted them would be if you launched the car in your trailer. I'll stick with my method. We seem to make straight runs. Thanks for your imput though.

#76 Brian Landies, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  17. Pat Byron

Pat Byron Member

I don't care where anyone adjusts their wheelie bars. I just wish they were doing it before they left on a 4 tenths tree!
    Pat

18. Rob Harrison

This whole wheely bar thing has been rather entertaining, but launching your car in the trailer gets the nod for the funniest.

19. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Good point Pat . What I see is crew guys strutting around taking up a bunch of time showing off then red lighting .The fans setting there in the stands waiting hope to seeing a good race . But instead get to watch another red light.

20. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

So we dont see another red light, I think thats what this topic was all about. 5-5-4 tree!