power adder turbo watever

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by vinnyb, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Active Member

A .70 under car is also a .50 under car so you have a very high chance of winning :p

2. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

No need to yell.... We are supposed to having constructive talks about this.

My analogy is about spot on in my opinion. A good comp car car run .60 under, most of the power adder classes in comp have been proven to be able to run .80 to .90 under...

If I show up with a IHRA car running 6.20's and everybody else is running NHRA cars running 6.50's it's about a .30 advantage I have.... Just like the advantage power adder car have on the rest of the comp field. PLUS, unlike the IHRA car that is pretty much maxed out a power adder car can make fairly big gains to get back the lost advantage if they take a hit....

Again,just my opinion. It is also shared by many others who have called or e-mailed me saying thanks in the last few days for the things I have posted. They will not post what they think for fear of being labled a whiner like I have been.....

3. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Mark if you showed up with a mountain motor you would just be way smarter than everyone else. Duh

4. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

Mark, I'll lend you my bullet, tech won't notice the diff. in valve covers...luv to see what it runs with a clutch & 5spd...;)

5. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

A good way to look at this...this...this predicament , would be to suggest they allow turbo's in P/S , starting out you have to run a 350 cu. in. and carry 200 lbs , then monitor the performance difference and add more weight as the turbo's continue to dominate ,. pretty soon they are going to weigh 3500 lbs and the motor will have to a 250 , new chassis design and on goes the story. This is the same predicament that Comp is faced with....potential of a boosted car , technology will continue.

6. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

pretty interesting, nobody notices that Jirka did not win comp at indy last year but Browell lost it trying to save index, how far under will browell dragster run all out

They drivers that win races know how to use strategy to win. There are probably only a handful of racers that run their car all out

also hord was #61 qualifer 6.32 over. bet last year everyone was lining up to run him, this year not so much.

oh how times changed, nobody wants to race hord this year

7. Ed Urcis

Ed Urcis Member

Going forward, to the past

.......isnt this how Pro Stock was before the introduction of the 500 ci era? There used to be different engine/car combinations with different lbs/ci for different motors and car types. (Funny, it sounds like a class we already have).Then it got changed to a single ci limit, and sort of made all the cars the same.(Even the different makes of engines are very similar in design these days). Why not make all comp cars have the same engine type and ci, and all transmissions be the same, everyone runs the same tire, same induction, and on and on and on????? I dont really think this is where anyone wants Comp to end up.The problem we have with comp is difficult to solve, w/o penalizing any combination that exceeds the normal amout of extra performance beyond the determined index. So the question becomes, do we let the results of races (some form of CIC) attempt to bring these fast classes back to the expected norm, or do we just legislate them back to an expected norm?

8. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

This is not the first time that the balance of indexes has been out of flux.
    About 8 years or so ago NHRA made the majority of Super mods super soft with the change of weight breaks addition of carbs and rearranging cylinder heads.
    A person with a super mod could bounce between many indexes with a very similar motor, and chew up index. Didn’t everyone scream and get a new rule that stipulated you can only hit the index in 2 classes?

Like the guy with carbon fiber legs in the Olympics, most have the ability to go to I dragster. It’s a unbelievable soft index, and has been for a few years once they gave them methanol. The secret as to why, clutches and turbo’s don’t mix well. Turbo’s love torque convertors, its changes a one run wonder in to an extremely fast bracket car.

As I said before when Hurley was running close to 80 or 90 under, no one cared, because it was an inconsistent car. Make the car consistent and put a world class driver like Bruno in it and it’s now a problem. Back in the day put a convertor behind Hurley’s can and put a driver like Rampy, Joey, or Trumble, or anyone of the top comp performers and we would have been having this discussion.

I for one see a few more I/D the first of the year.

9. Alan Freese

Alan Freese Active Member

Has anybody considered having Turbo / Blower cars run burst panels set at a predetermined amount of PSI ??? This would effectively cap the amount of Atmospheres they are capable of creating and put an end to the endless amounts of boost being created. I can see both sides for sure but NA cars can't change a pulley or shift the manifold and see a 100 hp increase. It is somewhat insulting to anybody with a NA car to see this happen. Conversely, I can see the Power Adder side as well, they have struggled and now sucessfull, due in large part to technology and innovation, but these means shouldn't give them an unfair advantage. Pick a number....say 45 PSI and go from there. Fire away.

10. Ron Clevenger

Ron Clevenger New Member

I don't have a dog in this fight. But I do know something about blowers/turbo's.

A burst panel limiter would never be consistent. And there are tricks to increase there resistance to rupture.

I would have to agree, now that they have come of age technology wise. They don't belong in Comp as it is now structured.

Blessings............Ron Clevenger

11. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

That just makes too much sense , Alan.......

12. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

Just reduce the size of the inducer wheel. easy to tech with a go , no-go gauge.

adding weight is not the answer, and lowering the index makes them too fast.

they did nothing about the Super mod's that all had a tenth or so index that needed to be trimed, what is the differance if its one index

13. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Active Member

Or they could make all boosted entries run a spec ecu that will be programmed by NHRA to control boost!

Better yet, put a chute sensor at the 1/8 that releases a 24" chute they have to drag the rest of the 1/4!

14. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Well-Known Member

With a cool front moving in tomorrow those 50 under cars are now 60 under cars. Can you say mineshaft? Some indexes are going to get hit hard.

15. guitar builder

guitar builder Active Member

lol Greg, you are so right!

...Mike Trumble/.02, Joey Tanksley/.04, Dick Maris/.03 and John Frech/.04 CIC penaltys from round-1 elim's.
    ...Should be in the low 60's this morning for round-2 elims!
    ...Sunday Run Schedule
    ...http://dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=258427#indextop
    ...OMG Greg, Larry Pritchett goes -.641 under in Indy Round-2 Elim's!!!!!!

#95 guitar builder, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  16. blown altered

blown altered New Member

Weirdest Indy I'ver ever been to...

Seeing 14 bye runs (no shows) & 3 double no shows in the 1st round was weird enough.

A couple of the highest qualifying power adder cars out 1st round.

But the wierdest thing for me was the guy sitting directly behind me trying to explain Comp to his wife......and this guy was a genius, trust me, he knew everything about everything. We finally moved after listening to him for an hour when I couldn't take it anymore following this line....

"Comp is just like bracket racing........uh...except for there is no break-out if they run under their dial in."

Had to change seats after that one.
    Kerry Grams

17. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Not to throw any more gas(or methanol) on this fire... But a couple N/A smaller motor cars went -.769 and -.736 this weekend in Earlville.. Maybe it's time we took 4 and 6 cylinder motors out of comp too.. lol... Great job to everyone in Comp at Earlville this weekend. Air was good, cool and dry.. Had some barometer, but not a ton. I think the worst I saw on our system all weekend was 2750 ft or so.. Not mineshaft by any means.. Some awesome hard nose racing!!!

18. guitar builder

guitar builder Active Member

smokey memories

...rob, member the chevelle, it was black, with gold top/trunk lid and hood, had fluids running through the frame and and rollbar tubing for oil, and water, i was down in daytona that year, have pics of the #13 car, lol, when nascar teched the car in, it was the ALL TIME TECH BUST ever at a NASCAR race, lmao

#98 guitar builder, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012